Cleaning

andybetarev3

This time of year I always Jet wash the mud off making sure not to blast vital joints and bearings. Then I soak the bike in truck wash and leave for 5 mins, Then rinse and use compressed air to blow water out of the vital components like the brake calipers and swing arm pivots etc. Then if im at my workshop it goes in the paint booth and gets baked dry.

Chain comes off gets de greased and properly cleaned as the jet wash still leaves loads of muck in it.

Air filter gets cleaned and dried and the airbox gets wiped round. A quick strip and clean of the carb.

I go round the bike with white spray grease and lube up moving parts such as kickstart pivot, Foot pegs, Rear brake pivot and bush, Brake and clutch levers and also spray loads round the suspension linkage bearings as it stops water and mud getting in when I ride it next.

Some people may think this exessive. I take my bike to a trial, They start 1st time, run sweet, never brake down and win 1st or second majority of the time.

I can do this process porperly in about an hour.

Most people don't have access to the gear I have but the most imoprtant thing is to blow the vitals with compressed air after washing. You can pick up small compressors very cheap (less than a caliper rebuild kit or a set of dogbone bushes) so will save you in the long run on parts that will wear out prematurely due to corrosion and mud.

There's probably more I do but this is what I can think of at the mo. Feel free to call me an anorack or cue the posts along the lines of I just jet wash mine and put it away and I never have an issue!!!!!

Dam that's a thorough clean!

Must admit I don't go that far. I wash the bike with car shampoo and a low pressure hose pipe. Spray some WD40 here and there and grease a few bits and under the cover she goes. Stored outside in salty air.

It stays in good nick, but it gets done regularly and and polish it every 3 rides or so.

i pressure wash or hose pipe all the shít off mine then WD40 my chain before putting it away. then ill go back a day or two later and lube the chain with proper chain lube.

thats the only thing i do religiously after a ride.

every now again i will use something like truck wash and a paint brush and give it a damn good clean in all the nooks and crannies. depends on how shabby the bike is looking.

Edited by neilh