2009 Gas Gas Txt Pro 280 Cracked Frame

doctorchopper

Freekin heck. If that was a Beta , John would replace that frame.Unless its been doing crazy stuff perhaps try calling Gas Gas tomorrow and asking them for a new one. Mark Watmore snapped his Scorpa in half leaping a ditch.It doesnt happen often so perhaps Gas Gas will help. Keep us posted

• 1 month later...

Well gas gas UK was no help, got the aircraft welder at work to tig weld the cracks, it's holding well, got about 15hrs on it now since the repair, did some decent size drops and some big "ish" hits and all seems good. He did a amazing job of welding it up you really wouldn't know if I re powder coat the frame.

The trial shop where i buy my parts says, that when he takes over a Gas Gas from sombody who buys another bike at his shop, there is a great chance the Gas Gas has cracks in the frame...

(btw, my Cota 315R cracked near the rear shock mount and my Cota 4RT had a crack near the upper engine mount when I bought it)

Well gas gas UK was no help, got the aircraft welder at work to tig weld the cracks, it's holding well, got about 15hrs on it now since the repair, did some decent size drops and some big "ish" hits and all seems good. He did a amazing job of welding it up you really wouldn't know if I re powder coat the frame.

in fairness, the bike is out of warrenty and is coming up 4 years old, it could have been crashed or ridden to death at expert level for its entire life for all Gas Gas know.

even so, they should know beta are looking after their customers with cracked frames and stuff. you should have reminded them of that and told them you will be voting with your feet and spending your money elsewhere from now on.

The trial shop where i buy my parts says, that when he takes over a Gas Gas from sombody who buys another bike at his shop, there is a great chance the Gas Gas has cracks in the frame...

Yeah ok.

Edited by neilh

in fairness, the bike is out of warrenty and is coming up 4 years old, it could have been crashed or ridden to death at expert level for its entire life for all Gas Gas know.

even so, they should know beta are looking after their customers with cracked frames and stuff. you should have reminded them of that and told them you will be voting with your feet and spending your money elsewhere from now on.

Yeah ok.

Hey, just answering his question.

I'd weld some gusset plates between the tubes to make doubly sure.Some one's sure abused it in the past.Cracks that bad don't happen in one trial,what's the rest of the bike like.I'd check the rear shock mounts too,not unheard of for them to give out.Don't know your mechanical ability,if it's not good ask someone you trust to look it over,could end up a money pit,never seen one crack this bad unfortuneatly

Edited by huski

I'd weld some gusset plates between the tubes to make doubly sure.Some one's sure abused it in the past.Cracks that bad don't happen in one trial,what's the rest of the bike like.I'd check the rear shock mounts too,not unheard of for them to give out.Don't know your mechanical ability,if it's not good ask someone you trust to look it over,could end up a money pit,never seen one crack this bad unfortuneatly

I know the original owner and it has been trialed at a expert level and has a good few hours on it but it still should stand up to expert riding, thats what its designed for. It hasn't been dropped off a cliff or anything like that, just normal riding. The welder said the welds are flawed and thats why it failed.

Any that were ridden hard cracked. That is the worse I`ve seen, usually it is noticed long before. I`d buy a new frame. Just changed an `09 out a year ago.

Thats the point i'm trying to make, why are they cracking if they are ridden hard, surely thats a fault in the design and gas gas should stand by their products. 1000 pound sterling for a new frame isn't a option for a 3 year old trials bike.