315R Sump Guard

sperm1980

Hi Guys,

have just bought my first bike, a 1999 315r. Have been taking it apart and giving it a bit of a clean up over winter.

As I took the front fixing off the sump gaurd it basically went 'twang' as if it was under tension. Is this correct? I have no idea how I'm going to refit it if this is ok. I do have the use of a press if it can be tweaked back slightly but didnt know if the frame needed this tension down low?

Also, one other thing, the carb is peeing out fuel from the overlow when running. Any normal issues anybody knows about or is it just the usual float height type of issue?

Any help much appreciated.

thanks in advance

Paul.

Hi bud, been their, and felt you pain, with the sump guard,,

you will lucky to replace it with just threading the bolts in bit by bit,, ive tried heating it up till it glowed bright red and bending it,,

squashing it down with the hole family sitting on the bike,,

ratchting down the bike,, and even longer bolts,,

but the best way for me, was to remove swing arm and refit the front bolts partly, and then get two speed clamps or u clamps, and clamp up the guard useing the centre frame to pull up against. use a bit of timber between the clamps and the guard,,

(ps dont poke a sleeping bear and leave well alone next time) hope this helps

If this is the original sump guard it may be time for a new one and the rubber cushion.. Think of what a sump guard goes through and what it protects. Some are pushed up so tight against the motor that one more hit would break the crancase $$$ In some case they can be reshaped on a hydraylic press. But at some point they all need to be replaced.

With a new sump guard there should be some tension but that should be mainly from compressing the rubber cushion. Post a photo if you can.

• Like 1

Hi bud, been their, and felt you pain, with the sump guard,,

you will lucky to replace it with just threading the bolts in bit by bit,, ive tried heating it up till it glowed bright red and bending it,,

squashing it down with the hole family sitting on the bike,,

ratchting down the bike,, and even longer bolts,,

but the best way for me, was to remove swing arm and refit the front bolts partly, and then get two speed clamps or u clamps, and clamp up the guard useing the centre frame to pull up against. use a bit of timber between the clamps and the guard,,

(ps dont poke a sleeping bear and leave well alone next time) hope this helps

Leave well alone??? How are you going to change the oil filter, when the rubber cushion is pressing hard on the flywheel-cover, without removing the sump guard?

When you have to use u-clamps to mount the sump-guard it's high time to get it back in almost original shape with a hydr. press or to get a new one otherwise you might damage the treads in the frame.

there is no oil filter on a 315.....

anyway, another way to do this is to put the front bolts in first and then run a ratched strap under the rear of the sump and over the fraom (remove the rear guard/seat first) and then just ratched the strap down until the sump guard is back in place

anyway, another way to do this is to put the front bolts in first and then run a ratched strap under the rear of the sump and over the fraom (remove the rear guard/seat first) and then just ratched the strap down until the sump guard is back in place

you took the words right out of my mouth thats my way too

you took the words right out of my mouth

All that stress and tension is no good for your frame and as others have pointed out; no good for your crankcase if the clearance has been compromised. If you have access to a hydraulic press then it's best to try and reshape the plate before you offer it up for assembly, just be careful, I know that the 315 bash plate has a lot of holes in it at the front so watch you don't crack it. :huh: I know this makes it sound like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Thanks very much guys, really helpful.

If I fit the front bolts in by 1 or 2 threads, the rear is still out of line by at least half an inch.

Will try a little tweak on the press but if all else fails will get a new one.

P.s. ratchet strap idea does seem to be the one. Don't really fancy taking the swing arm off again as have only just done all the bearings etc.

Thanks once again

Paul.

Repeated hits on the sump guard knock some of the curve out of it so it no longer has the correct bend to fit the frame, not good for the frame. Get a new 1mm thicker guard and you will have less problems, or take you guard to a sheet metal shop and have them use their sheet metal brake to add back in some bend.