Cold Feet!

neilh

What do you guys do to keep your feet warm when out riding?

my hands and feet are generally cold anyway so im up against it from the start.

ive tried two pairs of socks etc

i got good boots (hebo) so not wearing cheap happy shopper ones.

any tips?

Okay, I wasn't riding, though I was standing a lot of the time in freezing water taking photos, but at SSDT last year somebody recommended a pair of sealskin socks. Shop had them locally and what a helluva difference. Weren't cheap - about £25 if I remember right, but it totally solved the freezing feet problem.

I've got the sealskins and they didn't make much difference to the warmth of my feet because I think I have the same malady as the original 'poster' i.e cold hands and feet to begin with which I think, points to a circulation problem. The only remedy is to keep moving, any chance you have to move your limbs; jogging on the spot, knee raises, jumping squats, stretches, take it... you will look like a real hard core loony though, in the same way that we only ever seem to see Fuji limbering up doing extreme streching, before he gets on a bike.

For many years I have had heated grips which make a big difference to your hands.

I don't find sealskins much good. If water gets in your boots then your feet feel cold even if the sealskins are actually waterproof. I have yet to get any that are waterproof!!

If its going to be a cold day in streams I use Buck boots which are neoprene steel toe capped boots similar to wellingtons but so much better. Certainly no cold feet with em!

http://www.bucklerboots.com/categories/buckbootz_s5.php

Edited by timp

Early winter -15C ouside and snow. This is what I have found to keep myself varm:

Avoid cotton. it´s cold. Syntethic material like coolmax is a lot better. Wool is very good. For socks I use a combination of 50%wool and 50% synthetic.

Edited by carl ekblom

For really wet,cold trials I wear nitrile workshop gloves under my standard Hebo trials gloves.Works really well,cos the nitrile gloves are waterproof and binable.So I can take two or three pairs as they can rip when you take them off.Plenty of feel and good grip.

I have a pair of Klim socks that seem to work great, they are made for boots and are knee high

I have done a lot of snowmobiling and found that 2 pairs of socks just doesn't work, ( and I get cold feet and hands fast)

Klim based their company on snowmobile gear and all of their clothing is the absolute best, check em out

correct, the two pairs of socks trick is just a myth, it doesnt work.

however, i took a tip from a mate that does a lot of hiking and he said to use a thin pair of cotton socks on first, then a thick pair of wooly socks over them.

i think he said something about the thin layer acting like a wick, and absorbing foot sweat away from the foot, whilst the thick sock provides warmth.

or something like that, i may or may not have been severely intoxicated after an all day session at the time. lol.

I stay away from cotton all together

It won't wick moisture it just absorbs it and stays wet

There are moisture wicking socks but I think they are more for warm weather hiking and dry feet than cold temps

I have at least 5 different kinds of moisture wicking socks and found the thinner the better but in the end one pair of good quality socks works better

Again this was for snowmobiling and there is nothing sweatier than mountain sledding

• 3 months later...

In the Army, we would wear plastic produce bags on our feet, next to the skin, then wool socks over those. The bags act as a vapor barrier liner, keeps the insulation layer, the wool sock, dry. Moisture is an exceptional conductor of heat away from the body. In really wet weather, we would put a second bag over the wool sock to keep them dry. Your foot will sweat a bit at first, but your body will reach a point of equilibrium where you won't notice it.