Can You Over Oil An Air Filter?

zaskar1981

Hi

I'm new to trials and just wondered if id done the air filter clean wrong? I have a 2004 Gas Gas TXT PRO.

I road a full day yesterday ( fantastic first time out) and came home washed the bike as i should washed out my air filter and left on the radiator to dry. today I've re oiled with the spray on stuff put the plastic cage back in re fitted the filter, wiped down the oily mark's and started the bike. now the bike wont tick over. is it because I've put too much oil on the filter or is there something i could have knocked while cleaning??

Cheers

Matt.

Hi Matt,

You could have put to much oil on , yes. I prepare my filter like you do , but you just have to be careful in not drowning the foam. I give mine a good spray , but its not dripping with oil. This might have caused your problem.At a guess I put on about 50ml of oil on a small filter,if thats any help.

What is very common cause of your problem is you getting water in the carb when you cleaned it.This can easily effect the bike and stop it idling. If you havent been crazy in over oiling it, id take the float bowl off and blow out the jets well .This should do it , but to be honest it is difficult to diagnose over the net

Give this ago. Theres a good chance this will sort it out.

Matt

so, yes you can over-oil a filter but it would have to be quite extreme to have any significant impact.

The correct amount of filter oil is when the filter has total coverage (no dry patches) but when scrunched in one hand no oil drips.

Be careful not to wring (twist) the filter as this stresses the glued joints and can cause rips.

Most people i know wet the filter in a number of evenly spaced (10-20) places an then place into sandwich bag and scrunch several times to distribute the oil.

Lastly the filter is removed from the bag and scrunched to allow excess to drip off.

Dom

The answer to OP's question though is, NO, you could NOT have applied enough oil to the filter to cause the bike to not start.

Worst_POSSIBLE_case_scenario, you over oil the filter: It drips off the filter to bottom of airbox, out the drain flap. The filter is a sponge, just like sponges you used washing dishes, excess oil would drain to bottom of your airbox. A couple of kicks and no matter how much oil, you can still draw more than enough air through the filter to start the bike.

Now if you used glue, lol maybe.

Thanks for the replies guys

I opted for the cheating option and loaded up the bike and took it to Trials-uk in leeds, paid them to fix it while i watched. it was water and crap in the carb, so for a very reasonable price the mechanic took off the air box then the carb and talked me through what he was doing so id be able to do it myself in the futur.