Looking For A Bike - Advice

mikey001

Hi everyone, I'm Mike & I want to get into trials. I have had plenty of bike experience in the past but not ridden much in the last 10 years. I'm not very knowledgeable about modern trials bikes but from what I've seen I think I probably want a 200 - 250 engine and beta and gas gas seem to be the best makes. I have however seen a scorpa 250 with a rotax engine for sale and it seems to be good value for the price, are rotax good solid engines? Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks

Being a mid 1990s design, that Scorpa is not a modern design (brakes, suspension, weight) so if you want something that is amongst the best to ride, it would not be the one to choose. Another thing is that the modern bikes all feel quite different to ride to each other, so when you say that Gas Gas and Beta seem to be the best makes, you seem to be saying that you haven't tried them yourself. It is definitely worth test riding a few different bikes to see which you prefer. You haven't said how old or fit you are or if you want to ride in a competitive manner. Ideal bike depends a lot on these factors.

Ok, thanks for that. I'm 48 and not particularly fit but I do want to ride in competitions. I have no doubt I will fall off a few times and have lots to learn. I have not tried any bikes and any knowledge I have is based on what I have read and people I have spoke to. I'm not sure where to try a few different bikes so am trying to gather any info I can, that way hopefully I will make the right choice. I want to get a cheaper bike at first so it will probably be a older one.

It might be different where you live, but where I live, bikes are fully depreciated age-wise within about 5 years, in other words they stop getting cheaper once they are about 5 years old and their value depends almost totally on their condition. This means you can buy something that is still a relatively modern design, but for similar money to a much older design bike (like that Scorpa). Bike design jumped ahead in the late 1990s and early 2000s when the Gas Gas was made a lot lighter, the Beta Rev 3 replaced the Beta Techno, 4 pot front brakes became standard fitment and Sherco came onto the market. Improvements in design since then have been incremental. Another change was in the mid 2000s when 4 strokes were released, but now this change which was seen as important at the time, can be seen as being just a ripple in the pond, providing something for people who prefer to ride a 4 stroke.

Hi Mikey

Dont disagree with anything written so far... some other things worth talking about.

When trying other bikes dont make the mistake i made, looking for impressive sharp response and power (wheelies, hopping).

Trials at the novice level is about planning, accuracy, subtleness, control (rider skill). Pick the bike that allows you to achieve this.

I am regularly beaten (!!) by guys on older bikes, so after you have decided the type of bike you want, buy on condition as the main factor. Spares are expensive!!

I run a 2006 250 Gas Gas that was immaculate, i ended up calming it down a bit to smooth the response.

I have since ridden Beta's and Sherco's and can genuinley say that i could compete on any of them. They all have their strengths.

Lastly, "bling bits" rarely make a huge difference (shock, carb excepted). Basics like setup, tyres, brakes, pegs, grips etc..do!!

Dom

I personally own a gas gas pro and have ridden with alot of people who had the beta rev 3 or sherco .. I personally would look what year you can get for your money and look for common faults .. My pro has bled me of cash it's a 2003 model and a few of the boys rev 3 same age seem to bullet proof however I am sure the later pro are more reliable think the year age of bike will be important and also test drive a few models and one will feel great

Agree with all advice given. While 250cc is common across the makes, do consider the Beta 200 - can get in Rev3 or with a few saved up dollars aim for an Evo 200. More torque and low down power than a 125, but less instant revs and power than a 250 that may propel you into a more trouble than you want.

The extra expense spent now may save you buying what seemed a good idea at the time to then realise that you can do better later on - it may just need a bit more convincing (or progress on that to do list around the house) of those who 'think they hold the cheque book'.

Whatever you decide, you will enjoy! Good luck, have fun.

If you do go for a Beta steer clear of 2000 models with the usd forks, biggest lemons ever built.

Front ends twist & leak, swing arms broke often-think Beta ended up replacing every single 1 here in NZ & stators packed up on a regular basis. 2001 onwards had the front & rear problems sorted so you should be right with them

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with all here .Just to highlight something (if you ain't bought already ). On Saturday the 15th of Dec , my son and me went to Back Cowm quarry .After riding both up a boulder strewn hill .Firstly i've got a fantic 245 (1990 bike) and i bought Jack a very decent 280 gas gas Andorra (2000 model)

Secondly ,the Fantic is pretty sorted and WAS a well capable bike when they came out .Cost me

Edited by shyted