Having Ridden My Royal Enfield Trail Bike For A While I Want To Get Into Trials And Find Something Lighter, Bultaco Sherpa? (Pics And Vid Of Enfield)

handmadematt

Hi. So I bought a doggy old stock Royal Enfield Bullet 350cc some months ago and got it running, bought a few new parts and turned it into a different animal! Here she is:

430732_10152233645480007_1304383569_n.jpg

PB040002.jpg

(I have since fitted a smaller trials seat.)

I've had so much fun ridding this bike all over the trails around where I live. A big heavy beast like this makes even the most gentle routes technical! HaHa. This technical approach to ridding has really got me thinking about trials ridding.

Here's a video I made if you want to see:

I want to get something that is road legal so I can take it down these lanes. I like old school and wouldn't mind something that would hold it's value so I've been looking around and have seen a Bultaco Sherpa 350 for sale which has caught my eye. It's on eBay here:

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2648

What do you guys think?

From what I can tell the frame should be silver and the rear mud guard is all wrong. The headlamp's awful and it's scruffy. But that is good, scruffy is cheap and it means I don't have to worry so much when I'm falling off. In the future a restoration could then in fact create some value in this bike, something which I really enjoy doing.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all. It seems like a great forum. Many people on here from the UK?

Cheers and all the best.

Hi Handmadematt, and welcome.

I like the Bullet, I let one of these slip through my fingers earlier in the year, my mate sold it on ebay for next to nothing andI regret not buying it.

Like the video too.

I don't know anything about Bultacos but that one looks like a good starting point as long as it doesnt go for silly money. Even so you cant really loose money on the olld bikes.

TLTEL

...looks like a good starting point as long as it doesnt go for silly money.

Hi, thanks for the welcome. There's a couple of nice ones on eBay going for over a grand (A couple at £1200 and one at £1500) so this shouldn't command anywhere near that price seeing as it's not 100% original and it's tatty. I've emailed him to ask about a viewing and the potential of a cash sale outside of the auction. I'd love to buy it for around £700 but I've got no idea really if that's good for me and good for him?? Anyone else out there who know's a thing or two?

Thanks again.

A

really nice bike youve got there :closedeyes:

Thanks. I have a lot of fun with it.

I have alternatively been thinking about something like this. A 1986 Fantic 241

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251196123232?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It still has potential as an investment and would be more practical and better?

Advice would be awesome.

Looks like you are doing well enough with the Enfield. If you actually want to compete in classic trials the Bultaco would be ideal,the Fantic less so because there are fewer choices of events where air cooled mono's are catered for.The other thing I would say is dont get too hung up on the purchase price,even doing your own spannering the cost of doing up a cheap runner can be more than one thats ready to go.

Joining local clubs to you and watching a few events is the best way to get the feel of what to do,observing is an even better way - amazing how much you can pick up there.Classic trials tends to be very friendly - many riders just going along for a day out and a good laugh,and are happy to answer questions.

Dont give up on the Enfield though,with more mods you could make that into something very capable.

...if you want to compete in classic trials the Bultaco would be ideal,the Fantic less so because there are fewer choices of events where air cooled mono's are catered for.

I thought this would be the case, but in honesty I'm not so interested in competing, just ridding for fun. Who knows though, and it is best to keep my options open... I think road worthy'ness is more important for me and ridding for fun, it would mean I would get a lot more use out of the bike to be honest. There are plenty of trails and lanes on my door step.

Dont give up on the Enfield though,with more mods you could make that into something very capable.

I think I'll own the Enfield until I die. The total project cost was only £700 and with all the fun I've had and will have she owes me nothing! When I'm a few miles down the byways though I feel happy having the tool boxes filled with spares, from cables to ignition bits and a pump and puncture repair kit! So to make a more capable bike I'd have to sacrifice at least that peace of mind to be honest, it would certainly shed a few kilos! What mods would you suggest? A sump guard? (Which would require a new high level exhaust because the current pipe runs lower than the sump.) A thinner and lighter 21inch front wheel perhaps? Anything else?

My mate had a 350 Enfield and trialised it with single seat, high level exh, 21 inch front wheel, sump plate etc. It was a great bike but to be honest was too heavy and didn't really have enough ground clearance for any technical going such as we did down the North Lakes. Also, the standard tank is too wide and the pegs too far forward for any serious stuff. Great torque though and at times the weight helped keep it on its line. Stay on the easier lanes though and it'll be great.

Re your query about twinshocks elsewhere, I'd advise buying something that's already got a v5, it can get expensive otherwise as you have to insure and mot it on the frame number to get it registered, then you have to tax it to get given the number. You'd also need to get some sort of dating certificate, not sure who does them now that Roy Bacon is off the scene. When I reg'd a TY pinky about 10 years ago I got a dating letter free off Yamaha UK's head office.

Excellent! I ride an Enfield 500 around the farm here, great torque, slightly better front suspension now I fitted forks of some old Honda road bike circa 1970's but the back suspension is horrid... What kind of tyres are those?

I'm getting a 350 done up with a smaller tank, a high level pipe and cherry bomb exhaust. Got an old yz250 front end and some better shocks. All the underseat boxes are going and I'm getting folding footpegs and pedals. Also changing the dire and heavy sdestand for something off the swingarm and I may even go as far as the front disc conversion unit...

Good luck on the 350 meanwhile and bear in mind you could shed about 20 kg from that with a spanner!

Half the fun is the challenge, you might find it all to easy on a more modern bike.

A high level exhaust as you say, 21" wheel and decent tyres, and move the footrests back somewhere about the swinging arm pivot.

But where do you stop ?

Is the rear rim 18 or 19" ? If 19 will limit choice for trials tyres.

Edited by b40rt

...I may even go as far as the front disc conversion unit...

There is a disc conversion kit but if adjusted right the twin leading drum is great, it just needs (fairly but not to often) regular adjustment. I've heard some people say that the disc is as good as when the drum is adjested to it's best but it just stays like that all the time. There a great article with some good tips to get the drum working well with a small easy modification... I've done it and mine feel great. Here it is:

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/pictures/content19/front_brake_overhaul.pdf

Good luck on the 350 meanwhile and bear in mind you could shed about 20 kg from that with a spanner!

I realise that I could shed lots of weight but like I said "When I'm a few miles down the byways I feel happy having the tool boxes filled with tools and spares, from cables to ignition bits and a pump and puncture repair kit!" She's a trail bike more than a trials bike. Bigger tank and great for whole days out in the country down the lanes with a picnic on your back.

A high level exhaust as you say, 21" wheel and decent tyres, and move the footrests back somewhere about the swinging arm pivot.

But where do you stop ?

Exactly, I've thought about all of this and have just decided to get a more suited machine. The Enfield will never be what I want now. I'm happy with how she is.

Is the rear rim 18 or 19" ? If 19 will limit choice for trials tyres.

Both are 18inch.

I think the problem you will have is boredom if you buy a bike like the Bultaco.The local green lanes will not challenge you or the bike anything like enough.Once you get used to a "proper" trials bike - even an old twinshock one,you will need more than a greenlane to challenge your skills.Only by riding a trial that someone else has marked out will you then progress.On your own you will only do what you are comfy with - a classic trial will take your enjoyment to a different level.

I think the problem you will have is boredom if you buy a bike like the Bultaco.The local green lanes will not challenge you or the bike anything like enough.Once you get used to a "proper" trials bike - even an old twinshock one,you will need more than a greenlane to challenge your skills.Only by riding a trial that someone else has marked out will you then progress.On your own you will only do what you are comfy with - a classic trial will take your enjoyment to a different level.

I understand you fully and I would like to get involved with a club and ride private land. I'm not so interested in competing, I never have been but I'm sure loads of people ride the classic twin shocks just for fun hey? Who knows though, it might bring out my competitive side! Ha.

Some of the lanes near have some pretty technical parts though, I would like opportunity to practice on my own as well.

I've actually already built a few obstacles. Portable stuff. I've got a box trailer that can take three bikes so I figure a skinny little trials number and a few bit and pieces like this would make for a nice little portable course. I'm thinking that I might even make some ramps to incorporate the trailer into part of a course. It's a strong one.

D200_31759.jpg

I've also planned to get a 13foot scaffolding board to bolt onto one of these turned upside down to make a rocker/ seesaw.

I have a largish in/ out drive way where I can play with these a little bit but not to much for the neighbours sake. With portable stuff like this I can take them down a quiet lane somewhere... Using my head and common sense of course I think it'll be acceptable to play around a little bit. Having a road worthy bike would be essential because I could do this and even go and set up a little something on an industrial estate on a Sunday etc. (I'd be prepared to leave politely if anyone had any objections obviously.)

I've also been thinking about a Honda TL125 because it's not so noisy being 4stroke and my brother can have a go on his CBT. Any thoughts?

I've got a few bikes but the one I get the most fun from is a 1976 XL125k2, brilliant on the lanes, a TL would be great but you might be limited with fuel range. I can get about 120 miles out of the XL, roughly 95mpg.

The XL has the same 1st gear ratio as the TL but the TL has a much longer top gear.

My first bike was a TL125, really enjoyed it at the time. (got it new from Edgar Bros 78ish)

95mpg was an average mileage for it also, and that was with the larger 60 tooth rear sprocket.

Given the choice now, I would take the Enfield.