Having Ridden My Royal Enfield Trail Bike For A While I Want To Get Into Trials And Find Something Lighter, Bultaco Sherpa? (Pics And Vid Of Enfield)

handmadematt

...I'd love to buy this Bultaco Sherpa 350 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170956811366?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

for around £700 but I've got no idea really if that's good for me and good for him?? Anyone else out there who know's a thing or two?

Thanks again.

He's got back to me now and has said he's looking £850 so I guess I could get it for £750. What do you think? Worth while? It's difficult because if I spend twice that I can get something really tidy and probably much better like this Montesa which has been all tricked out in a really good way:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121028319694?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It's a more functional competitive machine in beautiful condition. However, that might be a problem though for me learning. I might be scared to damage it and it would be more of a tradgedy if I did drop it badly (which is inevitable to be honest! Ha.)

When it comes to parts, Bultaco are much easier.

http://www.bultacouk.com/

Thanks, they are only 20mins drive from home as well... That Montesa is nice though and it looks like it's all been done! Have you had a read of the repairs/ refurbs and upgrades???! Wowzers. It must've cost more than the asking price to do all that?! I have read though that parts are discontinued.

So, the crux. The Montesa or the Bultaco? What will hold it's value better? The chance to buy a mint restored Montesa with lots of work already done and plenty of sensible clever improvements seems to good to waste..? I think with limited parts availability a restored one like this will not only be very useable but it will be a worthy investment. (I've been saving £1,500 to "repay" a savings account that I "borrowed" money from myself over the summer, instead of putting it back into the bank I'm thinking of tying it up in something I will actually enjoy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MONTESA-COTA-247-TWINSHOCK-TRIALS-BIKE-1975-ROAD-REGISTERED-COMPETITIVE-BIKE-/121028319694?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item1c2dd999ce&_uhb=1

Anyone care to share an opinion?

If the mont is near you go look at it , see the dates on receipts for the hard engine parts , ride it ... and then start your cash offer , but don't let on your impressed with the bike ..... stay casual .... you WILL end up working on it , if you get it !

Have fun

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv

Always works out cheaper buying something that someone else has thrown money at, if you buy a rough 'un to do up you'll never see your money back

I think you're right which is why I reckon I'm going to go for the Montesa. It's fully "tricked" out and ready for competition.

I bought the Montesa. It's lovely. Thanks for all the advice. I'm really chuffed with it. I had a spin around a car park and then again around my drive way. It feels great. Shifting gears is a bit tricky but I will get the hang of it. The previous owner has shortened the lever (less leverage then I guess.) I was having to us my heel even to change up instead of my toes... If you can picture that? Anyway. She's a beaut. Here she is in my garage: PC160005_zpsdf515f38.jpg

Cheers guys, I'm super chuffed. I've noticed though that she is very loud. Much louder than I thought it would be. I didn't notice when I test rode it because I was wearing a helmet. I'm talking about the exhaust volume, not the engine noise. It has the two standard exhaust boxes fitted and I'm wondering if they've been adapted to be straight through and fee flowing making it much louder? The previous owner has cut a hole in the middle box because he said he "re-packed" it. It not has a patch that it riveted on with some high temp sealant. It's a neat job. What's the status quo?