What Did You Do To Your Gas Gas Today?

shipdamite

I hope to get the clutch cover off this Saturday, just to have a look. At this point, I'm simply hoping it's something fairly obvious that kinda jumps right out at me, and screams "Here's the Problem!!!:".....And while I'm out there, I'll probably squeeze & fondle my bike's clutch lever a few times. :wub: I won't be able to ride for a couple months after Monday, so a little squeeze now & then will be all I get.....

Jimmie

Hi

My bet is you engaged the kickstart while falling, and damaged one or more teeth on the idle gear. Remove the clutch basket and inspect the gears. Easy fix, but that gear is priced like gold :(

Ehh.. and dont forget to squeeze the cluth lever - and this is very important - before AND after the fix... :beer:

-Jan

Hi

My bet is you engaged the kickstart while falling, and damaged one or more teeth on the idle gear. Remove the clutch basket and inspect the gears. Easy fix, but that gear is priced like gold :(

Ehh.. and dont forget to squeeze the cluth lever - and this is very important - before AND after the fix... :beer:

-Jan

Hi, Jan!!

Jan, that information is really encouraging! :icon_salut: (Except maybe that part about the gear being expensive, hee hee.... :( ) The way this whole thing occurred, along with the fact that Gas Gas kickstart gears have a reputation for being slightly "fragile", had me thinking the same things you just wrote. Well, I'll have time to work on it this weekend, and hopefully will be able to report back.

Again, thanks for your help here, Jan! And everyone else's help as well!!! I appreciate it very much! I would insert a beer-clinking emoticon here, but for some reason, my ability to put text in italics, underline, pictures, and the smileys isn't working now???? :beer:

Jimmie

In EDIT: I figured it out; there was a little "lightswitch" type of "toggle" thing up in the upper left hand corner I had to click on..... :dunce:

Edited by mr neutron

I ordered a new rim strip for my leaking rear wheel...........I have not taken the tire off to inspect whether that is the problem or not, but I ordered one.

I also took the Old B.A.G.G. (Old Bad Ass Gas Gas) off the stand and did some balancing and hopping with the motor off.

When I was done I showed my appreciation by squeezing the clutch lever. :wub:

BUT NOT DURING !!!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Oh Lord NO!! that would just be disgusting! :barf:

( :hyper: my sense of humor is a little bit :chairfall: )

The laddos got a reputation for having a laugh but he's trying to make a valid point this time.

• Like 3

The laddos got a reputation for having a laugh but he's trying to make a valid point this time.

Yeah, I understand, Ham2 and b40rt!!! :icon_salut: I appreciate the warning!

I'm thinking that's a way to make even more problems for myself that I really don't want.... :wall: I guess a person needs to squeeze their clutch lever in a responsible way, huh? :blush:

Jimmie

Aye and A good point he hath made,

Again My sense of humor is a bit............off the norm,

But like the man says, ya gotta find the chips/chunks that are floating around.

Yeah, I understand, Ham2 and b40rt!!! :icon_salut: I appreciate the warning!

I'm thinking that's a way to make even more problems for myself that I really don't want.... :wall: I guess a person needs to squeeze their clutch lever in a responsible way, huh? :blush:

Jimmie

Always wear gloves???? ;)

Today I walked past the gas gas as the ktm needed its mot. it passed. phew. Then I walked past the gas gas again as I had to get the stihl out to ring up some wood. After that I had to go and see Ray to get some oil, then I managed to get the gas gas engine oil changed - I thought I would try putoline light gear oil (which is cheaper than the expensive nano putoline stuff) and if anything it is much better - better clutch action, less clutch noise and neutral selection is approaching normal bike normal..... and no creep. too good to be true? hopefully not. by this time it was dark, so head torch on and practiced some figure of 8's and going round on 'lock' circles.

I have been able to avoid needless clutch pumping; been difficult though.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never really been a fan of graphics on my bikes and invariably they get peeled off or plastics with imbedded graphics are replaced for plain ones.

This, together with the fact that the graphics on my gasser were curling up at the edges and that I like the look of the unadorned bike in the owners manual, resulted in me removing the graphics from the bike today. A hairdryer and brake cleaner helped the removal and a polish up with silicone spray rejuvenated the plastics. The tank has also been stripped and polished up.

I am pleased with the way it has turned out - it emphasises the shape of the bike.

Does anyone else have a 'naked' gasser?

Had someone coming to look at purchasing my nephew's CR85R that he outgrew a few years ago (he's on a KX125 these days)....so I took the time to drain some carb float bowls, since it's been -20C or colder overnight the past few nights and I have a few feet of snow down. Can't ride....might as well wrench and hibernate the bikes till the spring thaw.

So the 280 TXT Pro's float bowl is dry now.

Once I finished that, I did some static balancing on it. Well....I tried to static balance...didn't do so good. Haven't been on it since well before Xmas, so need to practice up more.

Oh....and gave both the clutch and brake levers a few squeezes. That felt good! :hyper:

Time for a Guinness and a few episodes of Sons of Anarchy, Season 2 on the tube!