What Did You Do To Your Gas Gas Today?

shipdamite

After three Ducati regulator/rectifiers on my 07 failed I decided to run the fan off a battery instead. I carry a large sealed lead acid battery in my fanny pack, run the wires up my back and down my arm and have a slip on connection at the bars. The fan now runs much faster than before and I can easily get a full days riding from one charge.

I also moved the regulator/rectifier, that now only powers the ignition, behind the number plate to keep it from cooking. Twice the fan circuit failed and once the ignition from what I think was excessive heat.

About 4 years ago the same thing happened to my 04. Turns out it was the fan that died. I rode a trials with a fanny pack full of 9v batteries over a two day event. I also tried a computer fan but that lasted 10 mins before melt down. Honda helix fan is a great upgrade.

Official ride your gg day. I am all in. :hyper:

--biff

I rode a dry, good traction trial last Sunday (the 26th of Jan.). I "moved myself up" to the Intermediate class from the novice class, in what I'd hoped would force me to improve my riding skill. I think I spent more time picking myself & the bike up during this last event than I ever have....... :wall: I may have been a little too hasty to go up to the next higher class. :shutup: But I did learn (several) things I need to practice...... :thumbup:

I broke a shift lever when I started the third loop, and rode the whole thing in 1st gear. Got the new shift lever(s) (ordered a spare lever) tonight when I got home from work, plus a new airbox! :banana: My original airbox got broke, & then fixed similar to how totty79 described his fender got repaired. My fender will still be the plastic welded one, with a new one sitting as a spare.

Other than that, it's been engine-off balance practice and clutch squeezes...... :wub:

Jimmie

Edited by mr neutron
  • Like 2

I rode a dry, good traction trial last Sunday (the 26th of Jan.). I "moved myself up" to the Intermediate class from the novice class, in what I'd hoped would force me to improve my riding skill. I think I spent more time picking myself & the bike up during this last event than I ever have....... :wall: I may have been a little too hasty to go up to the next higher class. :shutup: But I did learn (several) things I need to practice...... :thumbup:

I broke a shift lever when I started the third loop, and rode the whole thing in 1st gear. Got the new shift lever(s) (ordered a spare lever) tonight when I got home from work, plus a new airbox! :banana: My original airbox got broke, & then fixed similar to how totty79 described his fender got repaired. My fender will still be the plastic welded one, with a new one sitting as a spare.

Other than that, it's been engine-off balance practice and clutch squeezes...... :wub:

Jimmie

Try not to be detered Jimmie.

It is a step up so push on if you can.I too changed halfway through last year , big bifference at the first trial and a lot of difficult rock . Kind of got dragged around a bit but i stuck with it even though on my third trial after the change i finished last in my group.The next trial i finished 12th out of 22

but on the last trial i did it was a killer. There is personal achievment involved and i completed, and didn't bottle out on any sections despite smashing

myself up a bit.So as they say where i'm from "Keep gooin wit yed dayn". That's " keep going with your head down", my old cock Sparrow!

Ted.

Edited by shyted
  • Like 2

Shyted,

Thank You, Sir! That was a great, encouraging, positive post, and it's much appreciated! :icon_salut:

I'm certain I finished last out of a dozen or so riders (results haven't been posted yet....), but that's alright. I'm in this for the opportunity to learn & improve, and stubborn enough to stick it out. But mostly just for fun.... :hyper: I learned about quite a few areas I'm lacking in skill at riding. Wish I had the chance to ride in rocks more; the only times I get to ride those are normally during a competition.

I tried to do a "bunny hop/unload" type of move over a square edged rock about 12" high, coming out of a corner. Got the front over the rock, and was unloading to get the rear wheel over. Got the front wheel stuck on a smaller rock, bike stopped, and I "yard darted" myself over the bars. Kinda augered head first over the bars and into the dirt. Luckily, I fell nicely enough to not really get hurt! So I guess if I learned anything, the ability to fall w/o killing myself has come in handy, hee hee. I'm impressed with how tough these bikes are sometimes......

On topic, the bike has a new shift lever, and some cheap fork guards from the article on page 52 of this month's Trial & Enduro News. Here's a link.....

http://www.joomag.com/magazine/trials-enduro-news-february-2014/0557025001390413892

Jimmie

• Like 1

hello all,

nothing on the gasser for the last copla weeks ..................... I have been getting the TY shipshape!

after an engine rebuild (wossner piston, relined cylinder, new rod, mains, big end, etc etc) i have been fine tuning and getting the jetting right. the attched image shows the bike in my back hall when the engine was a jigsaw- the tank is what was left after I had taken off the paint and a kilo of filler!

post-17421-0-67812000-1391196098_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Well, tonight after work, got the gasser out, jet washed it, stripped out the water pump and removed the two external hoses.

Rebuilt pump, new seals and bearings, fitted new kickstart shaft seal as the cover was off. new hoses and clamps (great find on ebay as gas gas don't make them any more for the JTR models)

New thermo switch, topped up with fluids and fired her up, then waited patiently for the fan to kick in.

No leaks so I can go ride on Sunday if they don't cancel because of the Rain.

All this because the old girl (Betsie as she has been named by someone at my club) boiled up in the swamp like mud we were trialing in last Sunday.

TLTEL

• Like 1

Rode my Gas Gas today for a few hours. Made me realize how badly out of shape I am, and how badly this sinus thing/cold/flu/cough has kicked my butt. I was sucking wind like a, uh, like a, well like something that sucks a lot of wind..... Like a bucket of parasites? Like vacuum? I dunno...... I just know I had fun, didn't have to pick my bike up as often as last weekend, and cleaned some stuff that gave me probs other times I've been to this area...... :hyper: I like my bike......

Jimmie

Made me realize how badly out of shape I am, and how badly this sinus thing/cold/flu/cough has kicked my butt..

Jimmie

Same here.

Today I'll be mostly putting S3 clutch plates, with the correct thickness for easier clutch pull, in my 280.

• Like 2

Looked at a picture of my Gasser's on this day in history .Got a message from Coops to see if i was going to ride in a trial with Darwen club but still at work. Flight's moving out here in the dead zone and today we have sun!

So hope is high to get off later than expected , but not holding my breath.

Maybe soon i can ride the new one in a comp.All hinging on the wether out here near Sunny Norway!

• Like 2

Looked at a picture of my Gasser's on this day in history .Got a message from Coops to see if i was going to ride in a trial with Darwen club but still at work. Flight's moving out here in the dead zone and today we have sun!

So hope is high to get off later than expected , but not holding my breath.

Maybe soon i can ride the new one in a comp.All hinging on the wether out here near Sunny Norway!

WHY WHY WHY did i say sunny? It's bloody horrible here today and flight's are beeing cancelled! That's an even longer trip. Oh CACK!!!!

Be nice to see the TY when it's all done, Andrew! :thumbup:

Hope your Trial gets to happen, TLTEL, and hope your bike holds it's vital fluids!

Jimmie

Jimmie - this as 'restored' as it gets! the chassis has all new bearings and bushes and the engine is almost new aside from cogs and cases ................ at least i know its as good as i can get it mechanically.

post-17421-0-10175600-1391625384_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Jimmie - this as 'restored' as it gets! the chassis has all new bearings and bushes and the engine is almost new aside from cogs and cases ................ at least i know its as good as i can get it mechanically.

I love it, Andrew!!! :thumbup:

If I had a TY, I'd want it to be one that I knew was solid mechanically, and then I'd ride the wheels off of it........ Not too concerned about "cosmetics".....

Jimmie

• Like 1