What Did You Do To Your Gas Gas Today?

shipdamite

Good craftsmanship is in the details, or how does one say that in English...

Hello Guys, pretty much the same,but more than that ,if a job's worth doing ,do it proper or not at all .

On a similar note also found the kick start bottom nut /support bush,missing.All the time I've run my 280 with no real problems and haven't done a trial on this yet . I know the problems are small but i'm thinking there maybe more in store,been thinking of trading it in for a brand new RT Mont.

If it was two or three years old , i wouldn't bat an eyelid , but at 10 months old ,i'm none to impressed .

Edited by shyted

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled down my TXT250, and got ready to order the Kickstart gear and Idler gear, head, base and exhaust gaskets, oil filler plug, header pipe bolts and a piston kit. It has a 300 barrel on it with the high comp insert for the S3 head. Can't wait to actually ride it...........

My 300 has the short seal savers/fork gaiters and one was soaked with oil indicating I had a fork seal leaking (on the brake side of course). So order seals from "local" guy for a good price and wait for them to show up in mail. Recieve fork seals and tear down forks, replace fork seal. I now have the upper fork tube in the lower fork tube with the oil seal and dust seal installed. (my first time doing seals on my GasGas) That is when I discovered the little "cup" goes into the lower tube BEFORE the upper tube..

This is a pic after I took it back apart to install the "cup" first.

BjC11vJIIAAB0bq.jpg

So of course after that fork leg is done I reinstall on the bike. Now it looks funny with one fork gaiter thingy on. So I cut the other one off to find out that one is also soaking up fork oil......................Good thing fork seals come in a pair. :wall:

I tried to put the engine back together, but couldn't figure out why the kickstart wouldn't work as prescribed. The ridiculous return spring set-up is causing my headache. The spring seems to have lost tension in a spot that allows it to curl under the inner loop of the spring and sit there so that the shaft will not sit home. So frustrating. I have spent 2 hrs trying to solve what should be a 30 second job. Anyone want a GasGas.........

:angry:

I have figured it out guys. I had the timing wrong in relation to the return spring and gear. It is all back together now and working well. I now just have to fill coolant, gear oil, clean carby, set bowl level, fit carby and tank and fire her up. Let's hope she is a keeper. :thumbup:

I have figured it out guys. I had the timing wrong in relation to the return spring and gear. It is all back together now and working well. I now just have to fill coolant, gear oil, clean carby, set bowl level, fit carby and tank and fire her up. Let's hope she is a keeper. :thumbup:

The video does not show the correct timing. The timing is in a Gas Gas tech bulletin. If yours is working, close enough!

Finished putting her together today and kicked her in the guts. She takes some starting, doesn't fire as easy as I would like, but I am sure I can tune this into her. Runs like a dream though and has some serious hoof. A helluva lot more every where than the little Scorpa! (as expected) I am still having an issue with the kicker, but it is due to me improvising with the outer circlip which is allowing a little too much end float of the shaft. It means that when it moves outwards, the shaft doesn't allow the half moon gear to return to it's natural position. Oh well, the motor is quiet and potent and the bikes rides fantastically. I can't wait to fix these little niggles and get the thing down to the trials club.

:thumbup:

I also wander if the starting issues are related to the carby being the 250 carby. It would appear as though they used this carby on the earlier model 280's and 300's but I will still see if I can tune it out rather than purchasing the 300 vhst carby.

• Like 1

Took it out for it's first proper trials ride today, and it is a ripper. I have basically sorted the starting issues, just a bit of technique more than anything. A little richer on the mixture screw and bump the idle up a little. No throttle on cold start and a bit of throttle on hot start and it will start within a couple of kicks.

As for riding it I will be keeping it without doubt. It is great to ride and improved my riding from the Scorpa almost straight away. Love it!!!

• Like 1

Had a competion today for the Belgian Championship on the beautifull grounds of the Trial Club Warken in Luxembourg.

And altough I've put a new front brake piston kit in the Fomula master cilynder in october of last year, today the piston again didn't move freely. Looks like the O-ring has swollen again :angry:

What did I do to my GG today? Topped up the tank, dressed up and rode it in ice and snow in the county forest!

It was just too nice out. So I rode it out to 2nd line and back, following the dirt road in the Drury 1 county forest trackt, and the groomed 2-track snowmobile trails. Slippery as ****! But never dumped it. Put a foot down more times than I can count, but man, that's a good way to learn to "feel" your bike, when you have no front or rear wheel traction on ice and slushy snow! I headcam'ed the whole trip....not sure I'll post it though.....

Still and all...it was a great to be on two wheels!

Maybe Spring is finally springing in my neck of the woods..... :hyper:

• Like 1