What Did You Do To Your Gas Gas Today?

shipdamite

Today I let it take me over every obstical that I pointed it towards. There were a few times where it went on its own with out me. There were a few times when I kept it from completing the agreed mission. In the end it had half a master link that decided to depart from the fun. 4 hours of riding all with out injury and all in with fun. VIVA la GASGAS!!!! Oh and I rewarded it by dialing in the carb. Its amazing how much a quarter turn of the idle air mixture screw makes.

--Biff

Yes Biff noticed how sometimes on my 280 it's sensative to weather and height as i live at sea level ,literally . Then i go to a trial in the hills and it runs a bit crap . Makes a world of difference . Yep the old auto pilot routine has been done recently by me to. Good though in't it .

• 4 weeks later...

Been waiting for gearbox parts for my trusty 280 for 7 weeks from GasGas UK. Phoned them two days ago and will be another month ! Got to say that's s l o w service. No deliveries because of the SSDT ! Still though the trusty one will look and go brill again ---eventually ----some day--maybe .

Good service from central wheels of Birmingham who did an excellent fast job of rebuilding the front wheel ,including replacement of the front rim,for my bike and subsequently tried to NOT charge me for the job.

I was honest with them so they sent the wheel by next day courier free of charge. A big thank you to those people.

• 1 month later...

• 3 months later...

Build in other front fork (marchossi from 2005 bike reiger tuned), other back spring (reiger), other backwheel+new tyre, new brakepads and wave discs.

Tonight will install alu trumpet for the carb from my other bike, because those plastic ones are rubish.

Tomorow will be riding it!

post-19159-0-04471500-1412951164_thumb.jpg

post-19159-0-76652600-1412951176_thumb.jpg

post-19159-0-63142100-1412951195_thumb.jpg

Hello zippy how's tricks? How's the gasser running ?Got a clip of Ian crashing a BMW 1000 RR at Missano , you remember ian dont you ? He got crushed nut's and a massive bluey on his inner thigh just below the man fruit's .Outstanding !

Ted.

• Like 2

Hello zippy how's tricks? How's the gasser running ?Got a clip of Ian crashing a BMW 1000 RR at Missano , you remember ian dont you ? He got crushed nut's and a massive bluey on his inner thigh just below the man fruit's .Outstanding !

Ted.

Hey Ted,

Ian is the gent you told "Come ride trials, it's fun" and he promptly ended up on his backside, right? Sounds like he is keeping up traditions. :D

Life is good, unfortunately the MOTA season is over. One of the highlights was watching Biffsgasgas ride over a log, sit on his skidplate, roll over the other side and promptly go over the handlebars.

So I thought, "I don't want to do that, I will do a zap, get on top of log on my rear wheel, hold pressure and wheelie off the other side" What I did was: gave it more throttle than Biffsgasgas did, but not enough to get on rear wheel and I still went over the bars...........but faster! :dunce:

• Like 2

Will work, but not on the long run. And it depends on the kind of sticker. But those silencers dont get that hot

I always have one or two on the inside to check if the tire hits the silencer. And one on the silencer itself, which is there now for a year or so.

Edited by crazybond700

• 5 months later...

Thought I would reawaken this thread with my first post, so Hi all.

I bought myself a gas gas 300 txt Pro 2011. It's my first trials bike after a enjoying a trials experience day. Have you seen that advert where a bloke gets everything wrong, the one where he sells all his shares just before they rally, and so on?...Well that's how I felt as I couldn't quite believe it when the week later I read Gas Gas had stopped trading. Still waiting for good news on that front.

Anyhow, got the bike went for a ride and the radiator started to leak....mmpphhh...But the dealer did the right thing and got the radiator sorted. Whilst I was waiting for the repaired radiator to turn up I thought I would service the bike, and give it a looking over doing little things like getting the throttle tube silky smooth. In doing so, I found that the fork bleed screw had been snapped in the thread and the top just put back in place. Again the dealer got one ordered for me without question.

Fitted the radiator and went for a ride - yipee, great fun even if I can't ride it very well. But found the fork seal was leaking badly. Damn, I knew I should have been more concerned about those scratches on the fork stantion. Oh well, I'll have to take this one on the chin. So stripped the forks apart and give a complete service with new SKF seals, and managed to drill out the ramains of the broken air bleed screw. I used some black nail varnish on the stanchion. Nothing but the best for me, so I used L'Oreal Resist And Shine Titanium in Meteorite Black – Ebay special   :lol:  together with some very fine Wet and dry. Pleasantly surprised at how good that repair came out, but only time will tell about its longevity. The oil that came out was more like mud, so couldn’t wait to see how good they would be with fresh oil.

Eagar to try my fresh forks, I arranged a practice day with a fellow rider for the next day, knowing it would get me on to finish reassembling the bike, (I also changed the steering head bearings) so imagine my disappointment when I took it off the stand and jumped on, gave a few bounces expecting the bike to bunny hop like a good ‘un. Instead the rear just bottomed out. So tried a few more times, and yes, whilst on the workshop stand , the rear shock had decided it wanted some attention as well, so promptly dropped it’s oil. Aggghhhhhh…is this what Gas Gas ownership is going to be like? And I thought it was KTM’s that had a reputation.

Next chapter, stripped the shock down, but had to take it to a local shop for refilling as I can’t recharge. Fortunately new seals did the trick. It must have been serviced before because a schrader valve had been fitted – a bit of good luck at last. Took the opportunity to strip down the swingarm and linkages to grease the bearings, but on inspection decided that it would be better to replace them all, as they where a mixed bunch – some ok’ish, and others with seized roller pins.

And that gets me to this weekend, where I watched some Toni Bou youtube clips and thought I would do the same in the paddock. Oh, well at least the bike worked well. Well, apart from the sticking clutch that launched the bike better than I could when I put it in gear for the first time! I did free it, and it hasn’t stuck since – Another thing for me to watch for. Not sure if this is because of the oil I used (Putoline Light Gear Oil), don’t know what was in there before, or the extended time in my workshop without use?

And that is my introduction to trial riding with a Gas Gas, it can only get better!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

This topic is way too far gone.

Put new grease in the headstock bearing, I had really good waterproof grease in it, saw no difference looked like new how it came out, however I noticed the stearing went a little bit stiffer so now try something more fluid.

My back brake hose has come between the spring of the suspension and started leaking. Had some problems with the brake and could not find it at first. But slowely noticed fluid level dropping, and with dismounting noticed that the reservoir hose had a small leak. New hose and all sorted out now. Also put new lever on it, the original one was slightly bend, making it touching the bash plate (when the brake was still not bled correctly). Now works perfectly again!