What Did You Do To Your Gas Gas Today?

shipdamite

HAd a problem with my kickstart system of my 05. New springs did not solve, so after some detective work found out that one of the needles in the bearing is broken and a little bit of play occurs on the kickstartshaft. New bearing should solve it!

• Like 1

HAd a problem with my kickstart system of my 05. New springs did not solve, so after some detective work found out that one of the needles in the bearing is broken and a little bit of play occurs on the kickstartshaft. New bearing should solve it!

Bearing should do it!

I had a little problem with my kickstarter too................... I forgot to put the washer on the shaft that sits just inside the clutch cover................ 5 min job to put back on.  luckily I had used a new gasket and was able to re-use it.

bad part is I did the rebuild while recovering from gall bladder removal and had a 10 pound lift limit.  so I had to wait for my wife and kids to lift the motor into frame, take bike off stand, lay bike on it's side, etc.......

Good luck with the bladder!

Those black gaskets can be used several times without any problem. THin paper ones are one time only.

I think my kickstart problems occured because the previous owner welded the footpegs, in such a way that they stand a little bit upwards. (maybe like bou?). But the kickstarter would grap the whole in the footrest and get stuck. If it then starts the whole system gets a good hit. Now everything will be new so it should work propperly again.

Got the bearing last night, so I can fill the whole inside my engine :P First time I see the inside of the engine from that side.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I like the simples places the best. Just a square of carbon, or a aluminium plate with carbon foil. Five holes, 4 to mount with tiewraps, and 1 for the brake line. (and additional one for a clamp for the score card).

post-19159-0-00989700-1462185217_thumb.jpg

Edited by crazybond700

• 4 weeks later...

Finally have my spare bike ready (for use or sale). Already put 5 hours on it this week.

post-19159-0-51927400-1464210294_thumb.jpg

Runs like a beast

With:

New piston rings

New kickstarter gears

New gearbox bearings

All seals and gaskets

New link bearings

New wheel bearings

Other bars

etc

Edited by crazybond700
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

my transmission parts arrived on Thursday, that night I found out I have an opportunity to ride with the Neiderer brothers on Saturday (today) So Friday evening I reassembled the engine and rest of the bike. Took me a little while (hours, too many to admit to and a couple :beer: )

but she is together. 

So before heading out to ride today with friends and the Neiderer boys, I fired up the Old BAGG to put around the yard to verify all going well.

All did not go well, she ran like crap.  I blamed it on the copious amounts of 2 stroke oil I used on the cylinder and piston for the reassembly. so off to the trials property, met the boys.  Very nice guys, easy to chat with.  No big egos getting in the way.  and very very good riders.

My bike continues to run like crap, revs way high on choke and bogs out when given throttle and take forever to idle down.  So with those symptoms if you guessed "sucking in extra air" you win a prize!  go to your nearest fridge and retrieve your prize. beer.gif (I am too cheap to supply one)

My buddy Biff, the great thinker, suggested spraying carb cleaner at the base gasket.  and guess what that caused the bike to stall out.  DING DING found the problem, base gasket sucking in air.  but why??????  

It turns out in my haste last night to reassemble, and the use of assembly fluid beer.gif, I had left a 1 inch piece of the old base gasket on the cylinder when I put it back together.  Break out the tool box right there in the parking area, time to fix the Old BAGG so I can give her a proper thrashing.  And yes everyone thought "this is kinda sketchy, but if it works it will be cool"  I took off the carb, motor mount to the cylinder, header pipe, remove water pump from clutch cover, basically whatever I needed disconnected to be able to lift the cylinder up about a half inch.  Lift the cylinder and use a this flat head screwdriver and needle nose pliers to gently remove the offending piece of base gasket.  Reassemble the bike and viola it runs like a top again. wings.gif

Off to play and watch others.  Alex and Andreas are very talented, riding up near vertical hills out of creek with only a bike length run at it.  Rear wheel hopping two logs and then to an elevated log.  just so much going on, Both are very smooth.  I was highly impressed.  I was also impressed with buddy Biff, he was trying most of the stuff they were riding, total mental.   Both of them would chat with us, discuss various techniques.  Great couple of guys.

about 15 mins before everyone was done for the day my bike decides to act like she is starving for fuel.  So I am now off to the garage to clean my carb.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

stripped the forks down on my gasgas250 pro today as they were topping out when I took it out on my first go of it . seems a lot better now just bouncing it ,will take it out soon and see how it goes ,

• 2 weeks later...

On the spare bike I bought to fix up, 2004 280 pro.    Nice to be able to slip the clutch to ride slowly and smoothly but this bike was stuttering when trying to ride in that mode.   It seemed the clutch was grabbing then not grabbing in a fast stutter resulting in a jerky bike motion when trying to slip the clutch.

Back to the garage.  Open up to look at the clutch pack and I find bits of the clutch pad material are delaminating and floating around.  Clean up and install a new clutch pack.   The belville spring had some small gouges in areas were it is should not be contacting things.  Sand out some of the imperfections in the spring, clean, reassemble and the clutch can now be slipped to produce smooth slow motion.  Another belville spring arrived today in the mail and I may put that in later but the bike is running much smoother now.

• Like 1