72 Cota 123 - Splitting Cases

kjdonovan

Hi Guys,

I have a question. I picked up a 72 Cota 123 this past summer for my wife; she loves everything about the bike except the shifting. Trying to get it into 2nd or 3rd takes multiple attempts and each time I change the oil, it looks like I struck gold, lots and lots of shiny flecks of metal mixed with the oil. So I figured with winter here I would tear it down and go through it. I suspect over the next few months I will have lots of questions. And my first is; what is the correct way to split the cases on this engine? I don’t want to just open in up and have everything spill out, I know on other bikes I have worked on you should keep one side stationary and lift off the other, to keep the gears and shafts intact. So with this bike do I keep the mag side stationary and lift off the clutch side or keep the clutch side stationary and lift off the mag side?

Thanks,

Kevin Donovan

Foster, RI USA

• 2 weeks later...

Split the cases a few times on my 123 in the 70's but don't remember having to remove one half and leave the other stationary. If you do split the cases though I would recommend replacing all of the circlips on the gear shafts as I had a similar problem. These gearboxes (I was told at the time) were notoriously brittle, however once I changed the circlips no more selection problems or trouble at all.