Twin Shock Montesa Cota What Should I Now?

bababoom

Im thinking of getting myself a old twin shock trials bike for bit of a rebuild project. There seems to be more montesa,s about than most other makes and the prices are reasonable to.

So the questions?

What should i look out for and what are the best models?

Edited by bababoom

348 montesa is an actual 305 cc, nice bike, montesa parts are much harder to come by than bultaco parts. wear items for montesa are available, its internal engine parts, transmission parts etc that are completely unavailable for some montys.

Yamaha TYs are easily ridden in a modern stop/go fashion and they also work well when ridden in the style of the time they were new (smooth continuous motion). Montesa twinshocks are not as flexible regarding preferred riding techniques, but are quite good at the smooth continuous motion style. This is one reason why Yamahas and TLR Hondas are more appealing (more expensive) to many riders in 2012. If you are conditioned to ride in the modern style, you will find riding a twinshock Montesa an interesting experience.

Another reason for the relatively popularity of Yamahas is that the availability of new and second hand parts for Yamahas is much better than for Montesas.

As has been said previously, some parts for some Montesa models can be hard to replace. If you are hell-bent on getting a Montesa twinshock, I suggest you get a 348 Cota because they are good to ride and there are plenty of them around (to get parts from) compared with later model Montesas. The other big seller was the 247 Cota, but it is not as good to ride as the 348. Not all twinshock trials riders are interested in riding the ultimate bike for competition and you will find that Montesas have considerable appeal away from the competition scene. There is a Facebook page for Cota 348 owners which you might find interesting. Very little talk of competition riding on there.

Where I live, even though events are usually run as stop-allowed, virtually all Twinshock competition sections are made to be ridden in a flowing style, so there is no disadvantage in riding a Montesa, or a Bultaco for that matter. It is interesting to hear that you see Yamahas as being twice the price of Montesas because the pricing here seems to put Yamahas at the cheap end. It may be due to the immense number of Yamahas sold over here compared with modest numbers of Spanish bikes.

https://www.facebook...ps/57549537568/

I've re-read your postings and realise that you are probably asking which Montesa is the best to ride? In my opinion the Montesa that comes closest to the wonderful Fantic 240 is the Cota 242. Unfortunately the Cota 242 is a Montesa that is very hard to find second hand parts for, has inherent weaknesses in the kickstart drive train, and very few aftermarket parts are available.

Edited by feetupfun

For the most part, the Fantics were best followed by SWM. The Bultaco`s and Montesa were the bike of choice of the time period. The Bul`s still have parts available and if you ride a Montesa you might want a spare. Parts are hell some times. What they are not telling you was the Jap bikes were crap in the day, handled poorly and made little power in comparison. The Japs made a ton of them because `Trials` was supposed to be the next big thing. People ride the ty`s since they made a ton of them. Go back and look at results to see what bikes won. Nothing wrong riding a Montesa they were great bikes.

• Like 1

My plan is to get something and spend a bit of time tinkering in the garage when i have nothing else to do. No real intentions of competing just a bit of fun on the odd Sunday once what ever it is ive bought is finished.

The main reason i thought of a old twin shock is that there not going to go down in value? Anything 2 stroke twin shock these days just seems to be rising price.

My two pence worth:

I had £1300 that was destined for my ISA savings account but instead of giving it to the hungry greedy bankers I decided to "invest" it in something that I was going to enjoy. Old twin shocks certainly hold their value at least and if I do end up owning it for 15 or 20 years I could even make money on it.

When I was shopping around for a twin shock I found that there were many more TY's available and that they were cheaper (in general.)

Right now on eBay there's a chap in Yorkshire I think with ten TY's ranging from £600 - £1,200 depending on the condition. Equally there are much fewer Montesa's on the market right now, some going for up to £2,000 or more.

The TY's do seem to have a reputation as a more capable "modern" bike, I've met people who aren't into Jap bikes but think they're great. The Montesa's seem to be more collectable in other ways though, like it's already been said here people like them outside of the trials scene.

Whatever you get will be the right thing though... That's the way it seems to work!

Let us know how you get on.