Do You Think My Current Helmet And Boots Ok? (The Ones I Use Green Laning.)

handmadematt

So, I've been into classic green laning for a while on my Royal Enfield and as some of you know I've only recently bought a Montesa Cota 247 classic trials bike, I've taken it down some lanes but am yet to go to a trial with it. I will be going in a few weeks.

So, I was wondering if for now my existing gear is OK?

I have a budget open face road helmet that I use down the lanes, it's similar to this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIPER-RS-04-PLAIN-OPEN-FACE-MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE-SCOOTER-MOPED-CITY-CRASH-HELMET-/400320783636?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&var=670043912026&hash=item5d34fa6514

And I have some old black road motorcycle boots that I wear on dryer gentler lanes and if it's wet and muddy I wear some walking boots with gaiters.

I don't mind spending some cash on some new boots if I have to... I was thinking about some Wulfsport ones (linked below,) I like the look of the brown leather:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370649573809?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Cheers.

Your boots are great your helmet is ok but would advise getting wulfsport helmet like this

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item35b35cba9a

And that's all you need plus gloves

Thanks, do you mean my boots are great or do you mean the boots that I've linked to are great..?

What's the advantage of a helmet like that? Better airflow? I'd prefer one in a plain neutral colour like silver to be honest.

Cheers :)

I've got some nice gloves that I use in summer, they're thin but with armoured knuckles.

Edited by handmadematt

Walking boots are not tall enough to comply with ACU Regs. Road boots probably won't have enough tread to get full benefit from a dab.

Ah great, that's what I wanted to find out.

I think I'll invest in the Wulfsport boots to be honest. They look good.

With regards to my helmet, it's a road helmet that I bought a few months ago (linked in my original post,) will it be OK at the clubs? It doesn't need to be a special certification or anything for the ACU?

Thanks again.

Hi Matt

Good to see you're taking it to the next level, as said you will need to have propper boots but the helmet should be ok to start with if its road legal,trial ones tend to be lighter with air flow, your head can get very sweaty.

Do you know about Hook Woods trials park, not far from you,(they have a webbsite i think) they have practice days quite often and its a great way to get used to doing sections without any pressure.

Goog luck

TLTEL

Hi

Exactly the questions i had 2 years ago when i got started. Totally agree with the poster who said gloves, helmet and boots are the important things. A bit of an intense reply but its what i needed to know.

Helmets

Formal helmet regs can be found in tha ACU handbook on page 90/91 here

You will see that trials helmets appear to be exempt from the normal Gold and Silver stamps that you find on road / motocross etc helmets. However... the helmet i use is has an ACU stamp anyway. In trials you rarely achieve "high" speeds and protection is mainly from bumps, falls, branches etc. (road trials excepted). However, tuppeny helmet for a tuppeny head etc. etc.

Besides this for a new starter i would say to you that you want something that is comforatable for up to 3 hours use, gives you excellent all round visibitlity, has a peak for those rainy trials and is easy to put on / remove. As you progress and the smaller things become more important you can look for lighter weight, better comfort, venting etc. etc.

Boots

I rode with motocross boots when i started. Initialy this didnt matter but it VERY quickly became obvious that something more comforatable, grippy, flexible and with a flat sole was needed. The boots you selected look fine. Riding in walking boots is definate no-no and besides the rules you'd be mad to do it (shin protection)

Gloves.

Trials is all about feel, control and subtlety. Therefore trials specific gloves are quite thin and give you lots of feedback from the various controls. However i use some good quality motocross gloves because they have all this plus a bit more protection.

Dom