Engine Split - '05 Rev3 270

eugenevd

Hi trialsters,

I've acquired a '05 Rev3 and having had some nasty surprises in the past I'm taking the bike apart and checking everything. Yes, EVERYTHING! :hyper::P

I've been hunting all over the interwebs for technical info, but I've entered a "somewhat disappointed" phase. :wall:

Sites like www.trialspartsusa.com (Gas Gas) seem to have lots of info, even Gas Gas's own site has some decent info; I was able to find torque values, how to take apart and service the forks, etc etc; but this doesn't seem to be the case for Beta? :(

So I then thought, okay, MAYBE the Gas Gas videos could give me enough insight and I watched the series on Gas Gas Engine Repair (http://www.youtube.c...y=engine repair) , 1 through 3, but after seeing all the little details I felt no confidence in taking apart this engine without some manual or something!

Does the Beta engine also have small little re-assembly detail one needs to know to do this successfully? Or would I be in luck, with a well designed for maintenance work engine? :D

I've so far stripped most off the frame and wondering if I should continue with the engine...

• Like 1

You can download a complete Beta 2T engine service manual from the 'Support' tab on the American Beta website. Granted, it is for the 2009 to 2012 Evo engine but they are so similar this manual will work fine.

That said, if you have no experience in rebuilding a 2-stroke engine, and lack the few special tools needed to do so, perhaps you should locate a shop or qualified mechanic that might allow you watch whilst they strip, clean, inspect, and reassemble the engine for you this time.

The Beta is a very well designed, simple, robust, engine that with proper care will run quite happily for years.

americanbeta.com ! Thanks jmck :thumbup:

I had a quick look through the files and the 2009 engine looks (atleast form the outside) exactly the same, frame, radiator, very similiar, things looks like they've been moved around a bit, frame to engine mounts a little different, but apart from that the same... :D

I've done this kind of thing before, BUT I had a good service manual; important thing is to use the correct tools and lots of patience!

The 45/50mm Marzocchi docs also on there, is that what this bike has?

The owners technical manual says: "hydraulic fork with 38mm rods...",

The technical data sheet says: "Front suspension: Hydraulic fork with 38mm sharf, Rear suspension: Monoshock" - no more detail! :unsure:

• Like 1

Glad you found the info!

The fork information that you are referring to (45/50mm Marzocchi) is for the Enduro bikes, not the trials bikes.

Some technical data about your forks (fork oil quantity, viscosity, etc.), can be found in the owners manual, and the part numbers for all of the bits are in the Trials parts diagrams. I THINK that your 2005 forks take the same amount of oil and viscosity as do the 2008 forks (the trials owner manuals only go back to 2008 on the Beta site), so you should be ok starting with those specs.

from looking at your photos you need a new side casing the Corrosion has gone too far. I had to do this to mine. The casing will now be porous, sorry bud but its going to cost you.

Feet up trials sport sorted me out with all the bits at good prices.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

After getting it all back together with no major issues (I've added more pictures to the previously posted album of the work done), I noticed the bike running hot (I posted about this elsewhere http://www.trialscen...ns-a-beta3-270/) , so I went through the jetting steps and found the spark plug running white at half throttle. Dropped the clip from the top to the bottom to get rid of the white, but still having a hot running bike (the frame, silencer, even the swingarm gets warm).

So I opened the water pump cover to see if the impeller was turning with the kickstarter, and it did. Eventually noticed that the work I did the first time round to fix the corrosion, was coming apart! :wall:

I've cleaned it up again, very thoroughly, taking my time, using acetone multiple times. This time I'm going to use Pratley Steel putty which seems to be more suited to this job.

The images of the job so far:

@magicmat At which point do you decide it is too far? The corrosion didnt go all the way through the cases; ie, taking the case off and looking at the other side it looks perfect.

Edited by eugenevd

Just from looking at the photos of your case you should have one concern covered and that is that it won't be leaking. I would also be concerned about how smooth all the surfaces of the water pump assembly are when you are done your repair. Even though the aluminum isn't porous enough to leak and cause you problems in that respect, if the inside of the pump housing isn't nice and smooth you may run into the problem of turbulence around the impeller and reduced cooling because of it. I would also consider putting in the costa parts aluminum impeller kit. I installed the kit on my rev and it works better that the plastic stocker.

Edited by ymirtrials

from looking at your photos you need a new side casing the Corrosion has gone too far. I had to do this to mine. The casing will now be porous, sorry bud but its going to cost you.

Sorry but I have to agree, I think that pump is going to be trouble, You will never be sure its working right and it could destroy your engine!!

TLTEL

I'm not familiar with all the online shops that sell these, I could only find a costa parts impeller for a sherco, I need rev3... where can order online that will ship international?

I would also consider putting in the costa parts aluminum impeller kit. I installed the kit on my rev and it works better that the plastic stocker.

Edited by eugenevd

I'm not familiar with all the online shops that sell these, I could only find a costa parts impeller for a sherco, I need rev3... where can order online that will ship international?

Try Outlaw Dave in Canada www.outlawtrials.com I'm sure one of them will be able to point you in the right direction.

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

@crazy_dave - I've found in other threads people mention Engine Ice (among others)

In other news, I sold the Rev3 and bought a '12 Beta 250t ! :D

Spent the weekend taking it apart, will give some feedback in a new thread...