Oset 20 Mods

frogger

I thought I'd start a thread to show some of the mods we have done to our Oset 20. Maybe other people can do the same and share any little tips to make it even better.

The standard brakes were not to his liking and the pads wore through in a very short space of time the day before Christmas! Faced with the possibility of not riding the bike until the new year (because we couldn't get new brake pads sent) we bit the bullet and stuck some Shimano XT's on there. Awesome brakes! Also did some Renthal grips and bar ends while were at it.

oset20_1.jpg

The motor was getting covered in muck and so we used an old heavy duty 18" inner tube cut to the right size and shape to make a mud guard. Works amazingly well. Keeps ALL the muck off the shock and motor.

oset20_2.jpg

We put a lift strap on to help him (and me!) lift it without getting our gloves mucky.

oset20_3.jpg

After breaking a rear fender within his first 10mins of riding we had to do some modifying to help it bend when it needs to so shortened it by 2-3inches, cut the sides off and boiled it in hot water and then put an upward curve in it before cooling it naturally. Not broken one since despite looping the bike countless times.

oset20_4.jpg

oset20_5.jpg

In order to increase rear grip with lower tyre pressures fitted a 1.6inch rim lock to stop the tyre spinning and ripping valves out (which happened twice before we fixed it).

oset20_6.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I've moved the charging socket from underneath the dummy fuel tank as it was a right pain in the a**e to get to . Especially when you've got big hands . The final straw came when someone , who didn't know what they were doing , snapped a chunk out of it in my absence . I've installed it through the larger of the 2 holes in the left hand side gusset behind the head stock . The small hole has the throttle cable running through it and the larger hole is redundant . It's the perfect size . Installed exactly the same with 2 small rivets . I had to extend the white cable by 2-3 inches ( solder and heat shrink ) so it would reach the harness , the black one was long enough . I just cut a small plate out of 1mm Alu sheet and pop rivoted it over the old hole underneath . I've used blanking grommets to cover the 2 unused holes on the right hand gusset and modified a blanking grommet for the throttle cable to go through on the left side . Stops water etc getting in behind the potentiometer and the 2 speed switch . Installing the charger plug is now 99% easier and I can more or less let someone in my asbsence remove it without breaking it !

• 2 years later...

Hey there, I just finished installing Kelly Controllers on both our 20 and 16 bikes. Wow, what a difference! Totally worth it.

We also run both bikes on lipo packs - Huge time saver and awesome running time with 24AH on the 20.0 and 25AH on the 16.0 bike

Installed a battery cutoff switch and a small voltage display to keep an eye on the lipos.

I also installed the racing tire for the 20.0 bike.

And mudguards for the motor and battery area are a must - I just zip-tie them to the frame.

post-21119-0-97700000-1424889913_thumb.jpg

post-21119-0-55041900-1424889919_thumb.jpg

Thank you for lifting this old thread. I also have an Oset 20 that will get Kelly and Lipos. I have ordered two 22.2v 22000Ah to put in serie. What batteries have you used for your 24Ah pack? And how much runtime do you get with it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey sveson, I bought 6 of these. put 3 plus 3 together. 8000 Ah each

Run-time is amazing. We can do a whole trial competition together 40 sections.

Very hard to tell regarding running time, really depends on the terrain and type of riding. But for true trials riding, the riding time is very good! We haven't had any problems at a full trials competition.

charging time is about 45 min. Really helps to have a volt-meter on the bike to see how

much is left in these batteries to avoid draining them too far.
Kelly Controllers are very good!!

cheers

post-21119-0-15784700-1426202496_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...

Hi guys. I've installed lithium ion on one bike and lipo on another.oset 20 2014.

Both cut out and then there is a delay then they are off. Only when throttle off and coasting.

Makes riding slowly almost impossible. It's like all of a sudden full engine braking from elecmotor. Any ideas. ? Cheers

• 3 years later...

It's an old thred but I thought I'd revive it, iv put some marzocchi bomber 55 tst2 forks on my 20r,a large high set of bars from on one, moved the foot pags as far back as I could get them and welded and strengthend the whole area. Also put a fox rp23 air shock on it, and now have plans to put a 24r swing arm on it with a longer stroke dhx 5 shock. The bike is so much better with the suspension upgrades, amazing little bikes!!!