Removing A Stripped Bolt

shercoben12

ok, i have to take the clutch cover off and i cannot undo the the bottom water pump bolt because its stripped! so i cant get the cover off. the bolt is all messed up and rounded :wall:

after trying every tool avadible it still wont go. i need to get it off by saturday. what would you guys suggest. i have thought about putting a slit in the head of the bolt and using a flat headed screwdriver?

thanks

ben

Edited by shercoben12

ok, i have to take the clutch cover off and i cannot undo the the bottom water pump bolt because its stripped! so i cant get the cover off. the bolt is all messed up and rounded :wall:

after trying every tool avadible it still wont go. i need to get it off by saturday. what would you guys suggest. i have thought about putting a slit in the head of the bolt and using a flat headed screwdriver?

thanks

ben

Ben - yes; as I mentioned in the other clutch thread............ a dremel would do this. cheers - Andrew

There are a couple of things you could try.

• Try putting some grinding paste into the knackered allen hole and then using the original correct sized allen key to undo the bolt (this rarely works)
  • As stated, cut a flat edge through the bolt head and use a flat edge or impact driver to try and shift it a bit.
  • remove all the other bolts, drill the head off the knackered one (using small to larger drill bits in the centre of the bolt), remove the cover, use some mole grips to on the now showing bolt shaft.

Good luck

Edited by nubee1974

I have a similiar problem currently, and was wondering if it would work to make a pratley putty steel mix on the head of the stripped bolt, then use a socket to shape the mixture, and then let it set.

when it is hard, the socket should fit on a shaped and hardened area?

I have a similiar problem currently, and was wondering if it would work to make a pratley putty steel mix on the head of the stripped bolt, then use a socket to shape the mixture, and then let it set.

when it is hard, the socket should fit on a shaped and hardened area?

Sorry, but I would be very surprised if it worked.

• Like 1

What works for me 99% of the time is drill the head off the bolt carefully, once the head is removed drill a 3mm hole in the center of the remaining stud then tap in 3.5mm Allen key and unscrew.

Most of the time once the head is removed and the pressure is taken off the threads the stud will unscrew fairly easily.

Edited by tazz229

Hi Ben

hopefully you have fixed this by now. But I have used a torx (star shaped) bit as suggested by neilh, make sure there is not any dirt left in the bolt head and GENTLY tap in a torx bit of about the same size as the allen key. This will usually work on small bolts.

I take it that you never replaced them all with Bling then !

TLTEL