Pros And Cons Of A 290 Evo Vs 250

peter_steer

Hi to you all,

I would like to know what advantages/disadvantages there are between a 290 evo and a 250 evo e.g grip,power delivery and what gearing that you use. I currently ride a evo 200 and struggle with the short first gear, I have changed to 10/42 and use 2nd most of the time but sometimes its a bit wrong.Any advice appreciated,Thanks

IMO - 290 better when going up big hills/hits, 250 easier to ride precisely in all other situations. I like them both. They are geared kinda short stock. From what im hearing, the new 200's have a noticeable power increase - havent ridden one yet myself.

Well, I'm a 48 year old clubbie and went for the 290 as I found it gentle and easy to find and keep grip. The 250 I rode (and I accept that bike to bike, year to year there are differences) was just a touch flightier.

Love my 290, I no longer even think about the bike, just the section. Great bike

Graham

I have a 200 and just use third as well as second to give me longer gearing when required. I hardly ever use 1st....

Trials gearing is not a set sequence i.e. 1,2,3,4,5 & 6 once flat out. You often start off in say 2nd or third gear and thats it unless on the road/trail. 200's always run out of puff on this kind of going though.

Peter you haven't given us much information about your ridding needs. I have a 02-250 and a 09-290. I like both. I had to bump the compression and install V-force reeds on my 250 to get enough torque at high altitude. I know many fellas like the 250 because the power is softer and they may find traction easyer while riding clubman sections. The 250 engine is very easy to control. If I only rode intermediate sections I could live with my 250 rev3 just fine, but riding at altitude and trying bigger obstacles sometimes needs more snap-power than the 250 can give. I recently tried to climb something with the 250 that i knew i could easily climb with my 290 and found myself slipping the clutch halfway up looking for more torque. That's where the 290 shines. Just a twist of the throttle with a little clutch to control the over rev and your up and over. As far as finding traction with the 290 I have never had a problem. Beta has done a nice job of making the bottom torque easy to use. If after riding the 290 you think it's to much you can add more base gaskets or instal Boyeson #112 dual stage reed petals. They will soften the bottom power while making the engine more flexible and stall proof at very low Rpm's. I am sure you have discovered that the Beta clutch is your friend while riding the 200. It also is the same with the bigger engines. The 250 is going to be more like your 200 in that you use the clutch to find power and the 290 will require you to use the clutch to bleed off power. You will have to learn a new clutch technique with the 290 engine.

Edited by liviob