Montesa Mh123 Front Spindle Spacer

gazzaecowarrior

Hi there. I am puzzled. Just been assembling my front wheel. I just can't figure out where this little 4mm spacer goes on the spindle. I thought it may fit inbetween the hub and speedo drive but it doesnt. Then i tried it against the fork leg and speedo drive and it doesn't. Then i tried it against the brake plate and fork and still it doesn't sit right. Where does the damn thing go ? I'm hoping Jimbo can help me again. Im pretty certain it's not between the hub and brake plate as the plate sits too proud with it in. When I was younger I use to draw diagrams of things whilst taking them apart so i knew how to put them back. Now i think i know how to put them back and I clearly dont. Help !!!

I have looked at a mh 200 front wheel I have it has no spacer between the brake plate and the fork it has a10mmish spacer between the bearing and the speedo drive and no other spacers The end of the wheel spindle does poke through the fork leg to get the forks parallel though about 4mm so Mabee it has lost the 4 mm spacer in time.

I have looked at a mh 200 front wheel I have it has no spacer between the brake plate and the fork it has a10mmish spacer between the bearing and the speedo drive and no other spacers The end of the wheel spindle does poke through the fork leg to get the forks parallel though about 4mm so Mabee it has lost the 4 mm spacer in time.

Thanks Jimbo. That's odd. My bike hasnt got any spacer between the bearing and speedo drive. Im going to have another fiddle now that ive had a few hours away from it.

There should be a spacer that the seal runs on between the bearing and speedo drive it looks to be about 10 mm thick.

Well I had a good fiddle and then it struck me. I understood what you meant by how you had advanced the thick part of the spindle to make up the gap where the spacer could or should be. The spacer wasnt therfor the issue in getting the wheel in the middle as the spindle could make up the gap itself. The problem is that when i had the wheel respoked the spoker for some dapht reason had set the angle wrong and had a bias of about 6mm towards the right fork leg. Thats why no matter what I did with the spacers the tyre was allways rubbing on the fork leg dust cap. Ive just spoken to the spoker and he's apologised and said he will sort it this week. Ive measured the bias so I know how much he has to bring it in. What a pain !! I thought I was turning stupid, had never thought it could be the spokes. Thanks for all your info Jimbo.