Crank Removal 2002 280

haggerthegreat

Try levering it out even from both sides at the same time. Be very careful to not damage the surface that you lever against.

If no luck, I suppose you can leave it there until its time to knock out the crankshaft.

-Jan

Hagger , you may well have sorted this by now.

I have the problem of gears stuck on shafts on my Merlin engines often and find the best solution is to heat the gear wheel up with a blow torch for about 5 minutes. Once it is very hot get some leverage behind it (which is even on both sides) using pry bars or something similar so you trying to pry it off.

Then get someone else to knock the end of the shaft which the gear is on.

The shock of the impact , the heat and the leverage are usually enough to pop the gear off.

The gear should pop off. Make sure you put the nut on the end of the shaft or the gear may fly off and hit you. Protect the end of the shaft you are hitting with a nut or use a softish hammer.

• 2 weeks later...

sorted, took it to my local dealer and he used a punch down the centre of the crank and a few blows with me holding it to let crank fall out off casing into my hand and no damage done :stupid: think the problem may have come a bout with someone hitting the end of the crank and getting a mushroom effect while fitting the gear wheel on !!