Oset 20.0 Challenges

juanroberts

My lad is suffering from loss of traction as he goes up steep banks, the rear just starts to spin. I am going to adjust the rear shock next time we are out to see if that makes any difference and failing that I think I have worked out how to fit a wider trial rear rim onto the standard Oset 20 hub allowing us to fit a proper tyre. Just need to check a few more things before ordering the parts.

When I took a trials course at www.motoventures.com, Gary said: "Pros will assume there is no traction on uphills". What it meant was I should gas it hard on the flat area before the uphill, and then just coast up in case there is mud or a lack of traction there. For a kid it may be easier to suggest more speed, or momentum, but I know its a challenging thing to teach a young trials rider.

We are getting a lot of interesting dialogue here. By the way, is anyone interested in starting a new topic entitled: "Re-lacing different rims"?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

The new controller in the oset is programable so should be able to select different throttle modes ( but not sure if the programming cable and software is available yet ). The scorpa EM 5.7 is the only pure e-trials out there at the moment http://www.electric-...fr/accueil.html

I sure looked around the internet for the bike (there is a separate thread for the full sized electric trials bikes) and could not find a way to purchase one, but I admit there may be a language barrier. One the controller, I looked at it today and did not find a plug on it, maybe the programmable part comes later, or requires the case to be opened? I did disconnect the governor, and short-circuited it, but that did not get rid of the hesitation. It seems that with it disconnected the powerband takes 5 seconds to build up, and with it short wired, it takes about 1/3 of a second, the exact same result as if the governor was cranked all the way in, or out. I did at least bend the metal tab the governor is mounted on so that the dial pin is a little more in the center so that it is easier to adjust in the future.

• 5 months later...

The motor on the 20.0 on uphills dies now. Not sure if it is a circuit breaker protecting the integrity of the motor and electricals, but it did not use to do this and it does so all over the place now, even on hills where it did not do it before.

The other thought is that maybe the batteries are dying and its trying to protect them, although I doubt it a little because we have hardly used the bike and always keep it fully charged.

The problem is that when the power goes out, it goes out for a few seconds, so if we are in the middle of a hill climb, its not a good place to get a sudden abandonment of power.

Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

For my money the 20" Oset is a ton of fun for adults. I just got my own as my daughter was getting mad that I always ride hers. I am about 230 lbs and it has plenty of hit for me. By next week I should be done bumping it up to 26" wheels so I can try some bigger ledges. We'll see how that works out...

• 3 months later...

The delay in the delay in the throttle is easy enough to over come if really needed.

I just bought a 2013 Oset for myself and my daughters for Christmas and the first thing I noticed (apart from the impressive power) is the delayed throttle response that makes controlling the bike at very slow speeds quite difficult. I came across this old thread and wondered if anyone has a practical suggestion for fixing this. I am not super electronically minded, so please explain like talking to a dolt.

Otherwise I'm extremely impressed by this little beauty and we've had hours of fun on it so far.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!!!

I just bought a 2013 Oset for myself and my daughters for Christmas and the first thing I noticed (apart from the impressive power) is the delayed throttle response that makes controlling the bike at very slow speeds quite difficult. I came across this old thread and wondered if anyone has a practical suggestion for fixing this. I am not super electronically minded, so please explain like talking to a dolt.

Otherwise I'm extremely impressed by this little beauty and we've had hours of fun on it so far.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!!!

Have a look through this thread for some ideas on solutions to this problem http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/39515-snatcy-throttle-on-36v/

The RC filter on the throttle is the cheapest option but its not a complete solution. The RC filter will cause a very steady increase ramp in throttle voltage i.e if you over shoot a little with the initial twist of the throttle rather than outputting this step to the motor it will slowly ramp the step in voltage and this very slight delay gives you enough time to readjust the amount of twist. Its very difficult to picture because you are only talking less than a 1/4 of a second over the complete travel of throttle so the very first bit of travel will be even a quicker ramp but its enough to make the throttle a little more controllable... the only draw back with this very simple RC circuit ( a resistor and a capacitor ) is that it will also have this very small ramp ( but down ) when shutting the throttle off, but with a few more components a circuit can be made that will follow the throttle realtime but only when its is going in the negitive direction and still have this very quick ramp up time in the postitive direction. ( it is basically the same arrangment that the pico addon does and what some of the other makes of contollers does)

If anyone wants to have a play around with this sort of circuit then let me know and I will draw one up and post it on here.

• 1 year later...

This is a belated update. I put in new EarthX lithium batteries and the 20.0 stopped cutting out on the uphills.  Afterward I swapped the controller with one OSET was nice enough to send and that appeared to remove about half of the throttle hesitation.