Full-Sized E-Trials

juanroberts

The scorpa EM 5.7 is the only pure e-trials out there at the moment http://www.electric-...fr/accueil.html

I am trying to find the price for the french full-sized e-trials EM 5.7, but an email to them bounced back. It is a nice bike, the only major thing it seems to lack is a battery charge indicator. As an aside, if the Gas Gas comes out with their e-trials and they deliver with a clutch, let better say if they come out at all, it would be nice.

Edited by juanroberts

Well we have a Gas Gas TXT-E already down here in Australia, so they are available already.

10kw motor, 20nm torque, 62kg. Battery indicator. And it does have the clutch kit installed.

The clutch kit works on a modified AJP mastercylinder that operates a linear potentiometer. The clutch release ramp can be modified with the programmer, as well as other parameters like throttle ramps, engine braking etc.

Works really well.

Edited by arnoux

Im not sure 100% sure of the price but I last heard it was going to be no more or no less than a gas bike so Im guessing it may be around 4-5k euros , and yes it has the same setup for a clutch as the TXT-e, I dont think th txt-e will ever be sold as a off the self complete bike ( but things change ) I think it is sold as a bolt on kit for a Gas Gas rolling chassis and this makes it very expensive again I heard prices of around 4k euro's just for the kit then another 4k for the Gas Gas donor bike. The videos that I have seen of the TXT-e just looks very under powered ( I bet thats 10kw peak and not constant ) and looks like its going to be over priced.

EM5.7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OSaLH65j9i4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OUWZWm5wNKI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fZVbn3b12Qk

http://www.trial-club.com/webzine-trial/actualites/2012/em-2012/

Gas Gas

Just looked up they recon a retail price for a ridable bike will be a retail price of between 7-8k euros

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ES2m77qNOcE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RbECu2fnnMo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JmkGgUlJy-8

Edited by gwhy

Hello, my name is Jojo and I am the owner of the first EM 5.7 in Germany.

I am very happy with the bike, here the price what I had payed: about 5000 € net.

For me its the ideal Trailsbike, no pollution, nearly no maintenance. And I can practice when and where I want. Drawback: No license or registration? (Sorry for my English)... it is not legal on the road.

Performance is very well, before I rode a Scorpa TYFS 175, i think the EM has more power... But I use most of the time the setting which is with less power. (4 settings possible). After 2 hours of practice I can directly ride things better than with my TY!

electric-motion_583.jpeg

Kindest regards from Germany!

jojo

• Like 3

Hi and welcome to TC jojo,

It nice to know that someone actually has one of these in the real world :thumbup: and the actual price that you paid, I think that the EM is much better than the TXT-e ( but only knowing the limited information that I have access to ) . I know you may not have a speedo on the bike but please can you get a top speed reading off of it some how, It would find it very useful to have a comparison . Thanks for posting.

Thank you! I have also a electric car (Renault Twizy) and I am selling Photovoltaic systems in Germany. I think this is very interesting technology.

I think I will ride the next weekend perhaps I can make a small video or some Photos of the bike. For the top Speed I think 55 km/h is realistic, but I am rolling much slower because I am riding often with my son (Oset 24 V 16") and also it doesn't feel so high rewd. I don't have a speedo on it and I am not rolling on the street so difficult to measure... And for me it is not so important.

What is reallly a pleasure: If you go up step hills, you don't have to gear down at the top of the hill, so that "saves a lot of feet"

And the best the people in the wood are not angry anymore if you are riding there!

Till next time!

Jojo

Hi jojo thanks for the additional information , the top speed is more to give me a idea of what torque this bike will produce (55km/h is quite fast for such a small motor (trials use ) ) . I tend to gear my bikes to give the best torque for the given amount of peak kw from the motor, I am just try to collect some data to see the differences between the bikes.

I bought a used Gas Gas TXT 200 and converted to electric. I used a Briggs and Stratton E tek motor direct drive (11 / 60) gearing with a 428 chain / sprocket that I made. I use a battery pack made from RC car LiPo cells, 42 volts, 20 amphour. Am loving it, ride it every day in a residential area with no complaints. The bike weighs 145 pounds and makes just under 20 HP, lots of torque.

post-17959-0-16106500-1359943675_thumb.jpg

post-17959-0-78929200-1359943696_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I bought a used Gas Gas TXT 200 and converted to electric. I used a Briggs and Stratton E tek motor direct drive (11 / 60) gearing with a 428 chain / sprocket that I made. I use a battery pack made from RC car LiPo cells, 42 volts, 20 amphour. Am loving it, ride it every day in a residential area with no complaints. The bike weighs 145 pounds and makes just under 20 HP, lots of torque.

Would be interested to know from those of you who have experience with electric bikes what would be a typical riding period one could experience with a full charge. Are the batteries easily changed so you could ride a typical event of 4-5 hours?

I usually ride the bike for about 1 hour before I can detect any power loss, which means its done. I could add more battery capacity but I really like the light weight and my old body is pretty hammered after 1 hour. anyways.

I've built a lot of electrics, cars, bikes, trucks, etc and the first question is ALWAYS how long will it run. And there is never an easy answer because,just like a gas engine, it depends a lot on how hard you ride. But for me anyways, the run time is more than adequate, but I don't compete. There are other issues that would need to be addressed if one wanted to run with the big dogs. But as you all know, there is a big gap between just riding for fun in your back yard VS a pro event. For instance, I did not concern myself with water issues. The motor is quite exposed which helps with air cooling but would certainly have issues in competition.

When I look at the designs done by Scorpa and GAS GAS, they have clearly done a better job of making their electrics water (and idiot) proof.

I'll try to get a video up showing its performance. I think its pretty compelling using electrics for practice bikes. It will wheely up any hill very easily. Before I converted it, I rode it for a day and was reminded how incredibly hard it is to modulate the clutch throttle and brakes simultaneously. The electric is very easy in this regard.

as nostroke has said it is very difficult to say for definite how long a e-bike will run for per charge, there are just to many variables. My converted sherco is around 10kg lighter and runs on slighty higher voltage. When riding a event there is very little riding to be honest, most of the riding is done between sections I guestimate my bike will be able to do a 4-5 hour event on maybe around 20-30ah but if just playing it will be around 20ah per hour of riding. The batterys on my bike can be changed in around 2mins and I have 4x 10ah battery packs.

Edited by gwhy

gwhy-sounds like you may have cells similar to mine, which are not really RC car cells. These are 10 AH lithium cobalt pouches. I made up two mini packs of 10S (~42V end of charge). I parallel these when I plug them onto the bike's harness. I was originally going to use 3 of these mini's in parallel for a 30 AH system, but these cobalt cells deliver the full pop, peaks of 20C (400 amps total). The down side is that these are also the cells that grounded the Boeing Dreamliner I think, ie, they can catch fire and you have to keep that in mind when storing the bike.Why they (Boeing) would chose these hot rod cells for an airplane is beyond me, but they rock for performance.