Full-Sized E-Trials

juanroberts

Yep, I only made one but I still have tooling for all the plastics that I vacuform. The frame fixture is another story. I made a minimal one that wasn't worth using again, just to try out my frame design. I would have to make a better fixture before building more. But still, anything less than ten or so presold would not be worth the effort.

20 hours ago, wardo78 said:

I am wondering if anyone has updates on the various e-trials R&D efforts? Is anything full sized with a clutch other than the EM realistically coming to market anytime soon?

Yes and no.  

Yes: The Yamaha TYE

No: I do not know if its available. 

https://global.yamaha-motor.com/news/2018/0323/ty-e.html

Looks like a nice little motor. So you will use the small primary drive crankshaft gear keyed or splined to the motor shaft , then to the stock GG clutch, right? Then make a inner and outer case with the bearings for the countershaft, correct? You will need an oil seal on the inner motor shaft and on the outer countershaft. Is that the plan?

I would be concerned that without a gearbox, if the motor KV and your reduction, primary and secondary combined is not low enough, dumping the clutch will be like dumping clutch in 3rd gear. Or whatever. What I'm trying to communicate is that with a fixed reduction, you have to pick a realistic top speed but if you do that, it would likely be geared too tall to have any decent clutch launch. I tried this with and was like, oh! I didn't work..... Here is my direct drive GG conversion I built before I made my own.

20201102_144255.jpg

20201102_144336.jpg

20201102_144228.jpg

Well, I hate to burst your bubble but it really doesn't work like you are expecting unless you have low first second and third gears. Also, its worth mentioning that the GG has a roughly 20 pound flywheel for inertia when you dump the clutch, the flywheel effect,, so the inertia of your smaller motor is quite small, which further reduces the 'big hit' you want.

If it were mine, I'd definitely use some primary reduction, chain, belt, gears, whatever. That smaller motor is likely a high rpm motor and needs reduction, but I would not use a clutch without gearbox.I tried it. It sucked and added weight. Unless you are a high level rider, its just fine without a clutch once you dial into it.