Leaking Tyre - Rim Tape

myzeneye

This may sound weird but, I would spend hours and hours on my wheel so I didnt need a tube, I would even do it twice if I had to

There's just some kind of sin in having a tube in the tire, a dirty secret

Be as weird as having a seat.......

I would never stop thinking about it.......but that's just me

Cured it!

Took tyre off rim, cleaned it all up to death......

In the absence of sikaflex I used some high temp flue sealant I had over from a job..... I made a little spreader tool from plastic milk bottle, basically a kind if t shape that sat on the rims where the bead sits but allowed a small section to drop into the space where the rim band sits.....

I kept it at a death of around 4mm above the rim band, daubed in the red silicone and them smoothed it off to an even level right the way round the wheel.

Took a few passes to get it smooth and even in a best attempt to not affect the wheel balance.....

Left it to cure and refitted the tyre.

Used a yo eye header to refit the tyre, and I've got to say they are worth every penny.

It has held perfect pressure for 3-4 days now.... Hopefully it will hold up as a permanent cure.

Well, I put the new Rim strip in today. went much better than expected.

Instead of soapy water I used basically the equivalent of Armor All. it is a silicone protectant for plastic, rubber, etc...

My logic was it was made for that stuff and it is slippy when wet, it let the rim strip slide around a little bit like it should and because it is for protecting and shining rubber, etc. then it should not harm it in the long run.

Tire has been refitted and currently holding 5 psi.

NO extra sealants or goop.

Just the rim, a new rim strip and some of that armor all stuff. Crossing my fingers it was done well enough.

Cured it!

Took tyre off rim, cleaned it all up to death......

In the absence of sikaflex I used some high temp flue sealant I had over from a job..... I made a little spreader tool from plastic milk bottle, basically a kind if t shape that sat on the rims where the bead sits but allowed a small section to drop into the space where the rim band sits.....

I kept it at a death of around 4mm above the rim band, daubed in the red silicone and them smoothed it off to an even level right the way round the wheel.

Took a few passes to get it smooth and even in a best attempt to not affect the wheel balance.....

Left it to cure and refitted the tyre.

Used a yo eye header to refit the tyre, and I've got to say they are worth every penny.

It has held perfect pressure for 3-4 days now.... Hopefully it will hold up as a permanent cure.

Silicone eats into you`re alloy rim and destroys it. Total nightmare to get off. Unless you sell the bike this method will cost you a small fortune in the long run. ( or the next owner ) Sorry to sound harsh but I speak from experience.
  • Like 1

Silicone eats into you`re alloy rim and destroys it. Total nightmare to get off. Unless you sell the bike this method will cost you a small fortune in the long run. ( or the next owner ) Sorry to sound harsh but I speak from experience.

it is not specifically the silicone that will eat the rim but rather the chemicals mixed with the silicone to cure it that will eat the rim???

but basically silicone sealent/caulk etc..=bad. (This was referenced in the above video)

it is not specifically the silicone that will eat the rim but rather the chemicals mixed with the silicone to cure it that will eat the rim???

but basically silicone sealent/caulk etc..=bad. (This was referenced in the above video)

Correct. This is what I found on the www:

"silicone sealants release acetic acid (which smells a little like vinegar) as they cure"

(They will cure faster but do not stick very well compared to Neutral cure types

Neutral (meaning neutral alcoxy) silicone sealants release alcohol as they cure, and has almost no smell, but take about 3 times longer to set up than acetic curing sealants. The do have overall a higher "grip" than Acetic types)

Well, I put the new Rim strip in today. went much better than expected.

Instead of soapy water I used basically the equivalent of Armor All. it is a silicone protectant for plastic, rubber, etc...

My logic was it was made for that stuff and it is slippy when wet, it let the rim strip slide around a little bit like it should and because it is for protecting and shining rubber, etc. then it should not harm it in the long run.

Tire has been refitted and currently holding 5 psi.

NO extra sealants or goop.

Just the rim, a new rim strip and some of that armor all stuff. Crossing my fingers it was done well enough.

I would only use the soapy water to mount the rim strip. The guy in the film says the rim strip is made from a very sticky kind of rubber and amor all has the opposite effect.

They make the rim strip from sticky rubber for a reason. To keep it well in it's place after the soapy water has evaporated I presume.

But I could be wrong... :unsure: