New From Ohio

nick1331

hello,

My name is Nick, from ohio(obviously). and when i was a child i saw a few trials exhibitions around at a few of the motocross races i attended. now with my career being a mainstay in my life and soon to start a family sadly motocross has come to an end in my life.thus why i am here. i need some advice on what to buy...i am 26 currently about 200 lbs (i always get fat over the winter) give it a bit and ill be about 180 and ready for summer.... and i am 6'0 tall. the only real requirements are that i can readily get parts over here easily, i really dont like having to wait on parts to arrive.

i dont know if this matters.....but i dont expect to be all that competitive, generally due to my lack of inexperience, obviously i hope to change that and eventually be competitive. but theres always someone better. baring that in mind i need a bike that i can learn and grow on...if that is possible.

thanks in advance guys!

also if theres any reading material you can point me to it will be greatly appreciated.

Trials Inc.is the local series,great bunch of guys. Novice line easily handled while you're learning how trials events go.You have great access to both Sherco and Gas Gas parts as both importers are nearby you,Can't go wrong with either.

Make sure you come to the world round at TTC in may.

Most any brand 250 from this decade will haul you around nicely. Gas Gas , Sherco, Montesa, Beta, Scorpa. Parts available, and many things interchange.

Trials is a Control game, the many times the bigger bore bikes (280,290,300) can be a bit more or a handfull, even for a young fellow like you.

Your needs may change in time, but for now, buy upon condition. Not unlike MX, a well kept gently ridden older bike is better than a totally flogged newer bike.

Another thing, most bikes can be shipped for 2-3 hundred bucks. So say someone like Lewisport in CA has a bike you like, or mike at Tryalshop in NY, you get the message, not that big of a deal to ship it.

Typacally a Scorpa/ Yamaha or Montesa Honda 2stroke would be you old reliable standards, but it is getting harder to find them in good condition.

The Beta, Gasser and Sherco 250's are scarce, as most bikes imported were the bigger bore bikes, yet there are bikes out there.

See what you can locate and if you can hook up with some locals for an outing. Let us know how you get on!

Cheers,

MC

I have a differing view on size of motor to go with. It depends on your riding style as to what size motor you want.

125 = Rev the hell out of it and kinda go somewhere, requires perfect technique

250 = Revs quick and launch, some bottom end torque for put-put

280 = Still Revs quick with bigger launch, and a little more bottom end

300 = Revs out nice and will put you on your ass if not ready for it, but has tremendous bottom end torque

(someone will point out if I am wrong on those)

On the bright side coming from MX you at least know where the controls are. Down side is for trials, all those controls are used differently than MX.

• Like 3

Zippy's got it,Right side=how much power,left side=how much is delivered to drive the wheel,and how fast it's delivered.

Very Important to ride with experienced others to get all the hints you can. Start off with one finger covering both clutch and front brake at all times so you get used to the feeling. Learn turning and balance first before clutch modulation,but get comfortable with covering the levers.

But don't worry if you never are able to acquire the clutch control you need,you can always switch to vintage trials where flywheel weight creates the traction control(I sold my TY350 as it was throwing me off on timing compared to all the rest of my trials bikes by having such massive flywheel weight)

Eventually you will be using the clutch lever like the throttle,I'm still working on that myself though after three years of trials(didn't know to do this until early last year,wasn't covering levers)

• Like 1

Nick asked for reading material as well. Ok, there is lots of good stuff to watch http://trialstrainingcenter.com/how-to-ride-motorcycle-trials/introduction-to-tutorials/ here.

The Ryan Young basic training video is also a highly reccomended standard. Available at RYPUSA.com

Not unlike MX as well, a good rider on a 125 will allways beat you. Not to worry though as we are pretty laid back and everyone rides at their own level of comfort and you do not have to ride anything you do not like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of us still have to go to work on Monday!.