Early Cota Red Paint Codes

chris_

This is something that I have been trying to find for some time. None of this is definitive, and I would be delighted if anyone can confirm, correct, or add to this thread, so that we can hopefully arrive at a complete list of correct colours and corresponding paint codes for each model. It may well be that over time, so many bikes have been re-painted in various shades that it is difficult now, to find examples with original paint, and to know what is technically correct.

In general, there appear to be at least three different reds that were used during Cota 247 production. (I know the last bike here is a 348, but the same colour is used on late 247s)

Montesa_Cota_247_1972_01_zpsd90cb196.jpg

800px-Montesa_Cota_247_1972_zps3c29b2ad.jpg

Early

The Mk 1 & 2 seem to have started out with a bright, scarlet red. I have seen examples with a darker, slightly plummy red, however re-paints and fading probably accounts for the variation. Overall, I would say that the majority started out with bright red body work.

MONTESACOTA247B-800000_zpsa88ca26c.jpg

post-2577-0-33031300-1326317987_zpsefbe4c05.jpg

This photo is "Greeve's" and shows his unrestored mk2

2012-04-05-23-39-08_zps374fd9ee.jpg

And Martin's (Triple_x) taken in 1968

Mid-life

The more orangey red seems to come in around 1973/4 (with the mk 4?)

Late

From what I can see, a darker orange/red was used in the late 1970’s.

Codes and matches

(Again, please do not take these as gospel, and hopefully they can be updated or confirmed)

Early:-

Code:?

Matches:?

Mid:-

Code:?

Matches: VW/Audi "Mars Red"

n.b. There are two different shades of "Mars Red!

1976-80 "Mars Rot" LA31B (This is slightly darker)

1980's "Mars Red" LA3 A (Has a slightly more "orangey" colour)

Late:-

Lacquer-

Dupont Lucite Acrylic Lacquer

Code 75-Red

Enamel-

PPG Delstar Acrylic enamel

Dar 72155SC

Fleet bright red

Source: (http://montesacotati...ank-repair.html

From http://www.rmmontesa.../paintcodes.htm: "Red: 1984-1994 Suzuki Car (Saint Germain Red 15P 99L-25797)

I have found (but not used) this website http://www.rsbikepai...-gb/contact.php which lists various Montesa Cota paints.

Edited by chris_

Hi

Interesting and timely post!

I am just about to get my spare seat and tank unit resprayed.

The colour I remember is the orange in the first picture which matches the colour on the tank badges sold by Inmotion, it is a close match to the underneath of both my tanks after T Cutting.

However during the 2 1/2 years I had my original Montesa there were noticable colour variations.

So I shall just go with the shade of the tank badge and under side of my tanks.

Some of the early variations may simply be down to the colour matching of the gel coating that was applied to the mould prior to the fibre glass matting.

Also back in the late sixties colour matching was not as precise as today, so who knows!

Will post the RAL number later this week.

Kind regards

Martin

Edited by triple_x