Gas Gas Contact 250 Problems

j13me

Hey guys. After 6-7 years I have regained the love for my old GG Contact, got her trailered to my house today so I could see what that time sitting outside had done to it.. Other than surface corrosion it all looks real good so result on that.

Popped the plug out, cleaned that. Drained fuel and refilled with fresh fuel and Castrol 2T oil very slightly over 50-1 as I was advised and proceeded to kick her over..

Nothing happened, just made my leg ache! Removed plug and cleaned and dried again (so getting fuel as was wet?) checked for spark and had a nice spark..

I played with choke a little (just the black flip lever) and noticed nothing was happening? I'm not sure how they are supposed to work but at a quick look it seems like the little cam shapedpartmof the plastic lever should pull up the needle as you flip it up? Well mines not moving, just pivots.

Does this sound like it won't start due to my carb?

Many thanks..

Jamie..

Here is is btw..

a2e8bda8b71c830cb917989719b56af2_zpsae936812.jpg

I am picking up almost the same bike tomorrow, cool.

It sounds like you need to give the carb a proper cleaning. When bikes sit the old fuel gums up and plugs up jets and inlets in the carb. I bet once you do that it will start right up. A fresh plug is always a good idea as well after a bike has been sitting. Even after cleaning the old plug, it's usually best in my opinion to replace it.

Cheers guys. Carb is now off and ready for tommorow.

Tried blowing through fuel pipe.. Nothing happened! Took the pipe off and really blew down it and out flys a bit of gunk! Shows what the rest of the carb is like no doubt! Gunk is on my finger.

57c48510d2f092e0c2fe23b61a198941_zpsaecbb72c.jpg

Have been offered a complete carb from a 2012 txt280 for £40. This sounds ideal as my choke lever is broken and I'm unsure how it works, guess the cam lifts up the needle but even putting on a pair of pliers I can't move it at all..

This is mine..

03b1dd10aca2a4b1294e1ad7bc0d3a2c_zpscb0cea19.jpg

And this is how it should look (as I said, I think the plastic bit on the back hits the casing which then makes it pull up on needle? Where as mine just pivots and not much else.

2f0916a98cb592fcd4ad59ed81054dc4_zps42a59566.jpg

Many thanks

Cleaned it all down last night :) stripped this morning.. Lots of gunk! Floats are nice and empty though which is a result.

cf96b97621a532465c07974061abce59_zps3c04ec19.jpg

The main jet!!

bcfa7d78b6dc43b230fd8a21eff3e71d_zpsa5aaa6c4.jpg

This is why the choke would lift.. It was seized in SOLID! Has to use mole grips to remove!

59def819325d854e5ff0818a441820e6_zpse7b833db.jpg

Hopefully the £8 choke switch will have it running again :)

This is too bad it happened to you this way, but I guess there needs to be a "what do I need to do before starting a bike (at least without fuel injection or self pumping carbs) manual out there somewhere...

there would be 3 main things you have to do,

#1 remove air cleaner, look for nests, check filter foam. If you run this engine with disentergrating foam you will suck it all into engine/carb/cylinder. Most foam filters start to dissolve after a few short years, they'll dry out over time (worse on bikes left outside, become rats nests, and disintegrate when you try to wash/do maintenance on them. Kicking a bike with a rats nest for aircleaner, causes more trouble than average "tinkerer" will deal with, as sucking dirt and crap into crankcase then cylinder is a deathnell for the machine, without lots of care used to clean all that crap out before it runs.

#2 remove carb, clean then dissemble, cleaning everything inside the carb, jets and choke circuits like a madman.

#3remove, clean out tank, install a filter between tank shutoff and carb, unless you see one or tank is perfect without gunk or dirt.

#4 remove the spark plug, check for spark. if there is exessive "wet" on the plug (because you were impatient and kicked engine over without the above mantenance done you might have a problem... I have seen bikes that leak fuel from petcock, into the carb which has the floats stuck, and continue to leak into the crankcase until tank is empty.

UNTIL #2 are done, there is only a 1 in 100 chance you will start the engine. you must get air (not gunk) with fuel, and lastly spark for the engine to run.

If the bike/plane/tractor et al, had been prepped for storage (most don't becaue the "last time they rode it, they assumed they'd ride it again soon enough), gas would been drained from everything that can Todays at the pump fuels in the USA anyhow, after about 90 days, the gas turns into a paste at worst, at best the fuel becomes rotten.

Edited by sting32

Great advice! Fuel has been drained/tank wiped, fresh fuel with good Castrol 2T oil, carb has been stripped and cleaned (lots of gunk!)

I just went to bike shop to see if they had a kick start, I have found one that's close so going to see if that fits!

Need to work out fuel tap too as it has no lever. Have to turn it with pliers. I'm unsure which way Is actually off! The other day I screwed it fully in and it still dumped the fuel all over my garden where I stood the tank up!

So it only turns quarter of a turn? Yes coop, the video helped massively too. Unfortunately the kick start I got does not fit. Its too small, yet another hold back :(

Choke switch ordered and hopefully exchange the kick start for a bigger one and try that.

Really want it running for this weekend. Then just need to bleed the clutch and rear brake as there is nothing there at all. Just soft! Normal dot4 ok?