Mecatecno Amigo

turps

I Got one for Chris back in 2001. I beliebve the engine was a Morini Air cooled 80cc five speed unit. It was not easy to find spares as the Importer had been Jake Miller and he stopped importing them soon after starting! I was told James Dabill rode it in the D class Championship for him which as he was riding a Scorpa 250 when we bought it shows how old it was. From Memory I believe they came in from 1995ish and Jake stopped a couple of years later. They suffer from the same problem all those kids bikes do in that they are quite a limited market. Clipic have the same problem.

From another thread they have a contact for the engine, harglo-performance.com tel 01386 701162. As for Plastics I would trawl ebay where there are Sprockets for them so I would see what can be done. Ours was purchased from RPM in Sheffield who seemed to disappear a couple of years ago. It Did go pretty well but it was replaced by a first generation BETA REV50 which Chris rode really well. He went from the back of the pack to competing with riders who had ridden for a number of years. Hence I'd say if your youngster can ride it well and shows the enthusiasm that Chris did it will be a good learning bike but maybe not a good competition bike.

Hi, I've just got a Mecatecno Amigo for my son and would like to know if anyone could give me any technical info such as engine type and spares availability.Thanks in advance

Turps,

Im friends with the founders of Mecatecno in Barcelona and meet up with them each year once or twice for a steak. They still have some 2nd hand spares , so if you pm me a list of what you want ill ask them.

Im currently having rear mudguards made for the Skywalker which im told will be ready for June, so again if your interested....... I think there the same as the Amigo

• 2 weeks later...

I Got one for Chris back in 2001. I beliebve the engine was a Morini Air cooled 80cc five speed unit. It was not easy to find spares as the Importer had been Jake Miller and he stopped importing them soon after starting! I was told James Dabill rode it in the D class Championship for him which as he was riding a Scorpa 250 when we bought it shows how old it was. From Memory I believe they came in from 1995ish and Jake stopped a couple of years later. They suffer from the same problem all those kids bikes do in that they are quite a limited market. Clipic have the same problem.

From another thread they have a contact for the engine, harglo-performance.com tel 01386 701162. As for Plastics I would trawl ebay where there are Sprockets for them so I would see what can be done. Ours was purchased from RPM in Sheffield who seemed to disappear a couple of years ago. It Did go pretty well but it was replaced by a first generation BETA REV50 which Chris rode really well. He went from the back of the pack to competing with riders who had ridden for a number of years. Hence I'd say if your youngster can ride it well and shows the enthusiasm that Chris did it will be a good learning bike but maybe not a good competition bike.

I had one when I was young and it had a four speed transmission and could only be started in neutral. I remember having quite a bit of trouble stalling it all the time, so my dad made put more weight on the flywheel and it couldn't be killed after he did that, it would putt along all day. Biggest complaint about the bike for me is the waterproofing, everytime I'd go through any water, the water would get to the plug and foul it. Dad made a little plastic cover to fix that problem though. Another minor complaint was that since it didn't have full size wheels, the tires available were terrible, we were stuck with horrible Cheng Shin tires that gripped badly. Bike was what started me in trials though, for that Im thankful and had quite a few great memories riding it.

Also, I remember there being few bikes and parts over here. There were only something like 20 shipped here and the importer only had a few parts here and there by the time I got the bike. So parts were pretty scarce here, except for engine parts, those you could get all day.

Edited by jtrials31

• 1 year later...

Just been doing a bit of work on it. I was stripping the forks to touch up the paint, when I took the mudguard off I noticed that there wasn't a spring in the left hand side. It doesn't seem to affect them working OK so was this standard practice ? Or has a previous owner rebuilt them and forgotten to put it back in.

The Mecatecno Skywalker forks only used a spring on one leg. The other leg is used for damping . This is probably the same.If it was actually missing a spring youd have noticed that the forks were so soft and sagging that the bike would be bottoming out on the flat.

What you have sounds correct

• 6 years later...

This thread is old but I was just wondering if anybody knew where I can get parts for my Mecatecno Amigo 80cc. I bought the bike on eBay pretty cheap and in pretty bad shape and want to rebuild it. If anybody knows where I can pick up some parts it would be much appreciated