Newbie With A Broken Gas Gas

dave_johnston

Hi, ive just bought myself a gas gas txt280 2004 model, i got the bike cheap as it had an engine problem. i have stripped the engine and it needs main bearings, big end, little end and probably a piston while im in there. Just wondered where people would recommend to get the parts, are some only available from gas gas? i live in cumbria weather or not theres anywhere local thats worth trying.

I was quite happy to fix the bike up over time as a bit of a project, but the more i keep looking on here the more it makes me want to get it fixed and be out on it :)

Any help would be much appriciated.

Not saying you should do the same but I just used Gas Gas uk for my engine rebuild parts. Google their website. They will have 95% or more of the parts on the shelf ready to ship, they are very fast with their deliveries and you can have an account with them too which is nice (just quote your unique reference number and you can empty your wallet super duper quickly).

You will likely pay more for the parts (genuine) and good service then other places but if you're lazy like me it's extremely convenient.

You can source bearings from bearing manufacturers, pistons from piston 3rd party manufactures if you shop around and you can cut your own gaskets etc to save money, but it'll really hinder your time frame if you want to get it done quickly.

It won't be cheap rebuilding your motor, I recall mine costing circa

Thanks for the reply, i did think it would be worth the little bit extra that it might cost just to get the parts from gas gas, then i know there correct and as you say it will take less time and hassle. i will let you know how i get on with sourcing the bits.

thanks again.