Start A Tranny Oil Poll

houseape1000

I thought it might be a nice idea if we had a poll regarding Gearbox oil as there doesn't seem to be nor will there ever be a definitive answer.

Maybe if we can collate everyones feedback then you can read through and make an informed decision.

My vague list of specifics are -

Model of bike,

Engine size,

Year of bike,

Transmission fluid used,

Did you change type of oil - What type did you change from and to, are you happy with results,

How often (hours) changed,

Clutch feel,

Usual riding terrain,

I am aware I havent covered everything so feel free to make suggestions or totally redo.

I don't know how to set it up so would prefer somebody with experience of such matters to take over. If not I will have a go.

I will leave it alone for now to get some ideas.

Difficult to do using the poll function within the forums as you'd have to list every model, every year, every size etc as options. There isn't a "free-fill" form option for the fields. There is a restriction for polls of 3 questions with 10 possible options for each, but I can easily extend that if you wanted to try anyway.

Maybe everyone could add what they were trying to improve with their oil choice, shifting or clutch action

I think that many trials bikes have a clutch drag issue causing hard shifting

Oil can have an effect on how much drag it has but it's still a clutch issue, I have never been a fan of fixing a problem by changing something distantly related

(Pre clutch mod) I tried 0w30 semi synthetic 4 stroke motor oils (expensive) down to any old crap I had in the cabinet with no great results

(Post Beta fix) now i have Optimol in there and shifting is much improved and much less oil sensitive

Model of bike - txt pro

Engine size - 250

Year of bike - 2005

Transmission fluid used - putoline light gear oil

Did you change type of oil - What type did you change from and to, are you happy with results - from atf to putoline nano tech to putoline light gear oil. Happy with results of light gear oil.

How often (hours) changed - every 10 hrs

Clutch feel - great! with LHM for hydraulic oil

Usual riding terrain - varied but no monster long hills.

Model of bike, TXT PRO

Engine size, 280

Year of bike, 2007

Transmission fluid used, MOTUL 5100 10W40

Did you change type of oil - What type did you change from and to, are you happy with result-

I only got the bike recently but was not happy with the noise from the clutch or the fact that i couldn't select neutral with a running engine. The bike was filled with ATF which i replaced with Motul 5100. The noise is greatly reduced and i can now select neutral easily. Clutch functions fine.

How often (hours) changed - I will be changed after approx 10 hours use.

Clutch feel - light and easy, very smooth.

Usual riding terrain- chalkpits and steep banked woodland