Catastrophic Failure- Help Needed

johnwayne22

Hi all,post-18033-0-73976500-1362494419_thumb.jpg Well the photo says it all really! A quick word to the wise 'don't fire your bike up without the kickstart return spring in' Hindsight is a wonderful thing.... Heres the story, I'd just finished rebuilding my cota 200's engine after a top end rebuild and rebore & couldn't wait to fire it up. I knew the kickstart return spring wasn't fitted but thought what harm can it do? I've had plenty of bikes in the past that i had to return manually. So i was well pleased with myself when it fired up second kick, sounded spot on, even idled straight off the bat without any carb fettling, happy days. So i shut her off and proceeded to polish everything up. About an hour later the missus sticks her head round the garage door and asks if i want a brew, i says to her check this out! bike fires first kick and I'm grinning like an idiot, then bang! the missus points to the floor and says like women do ' is it supposed to do that?" hardly daring to look down i say a quiet no and watch what was until 5 secounds ago my gearbox oil making a break for it. I now know that the return spring also holds the assembly in place so it can't interfere with the other cogs in there! That was a month ago & I've been looking all over the net since, i just can't find a cota 200 or mh 200 clutch casing anywhere, seems they're rarer than rocking horse sh*t! Luckily non of the engine internals were damaged and my engine casings sound. So suitably embarrassed and humbled i'm looking for a clutch casing if anyone out there can help, please get in touch. Heres hoping, John.post-18033-0-34432300-1362495604_thumb.jpg

Weld both sides, buff down outside.

Yep the only way to get this problem solved in reasonable time.

You can then search for a replacement in future, these side cases doesn't appear frequently.

The welding isn't easy let it be done by a professional with reputation and experience.

Suggest that before you weld it up, get a heavy piece of flat steel plate and drill holes to match the holes in the casing and bolt the 2 pieces to it, that way, when it is welded up the gasket face should stay flat and the bolt holes will all line up with the crank case. Do this yourself and you will save some money instead of the welder spending time leveling it up, plus you know it will be right. If you then weld the inside it may distort the casting and you will have to machine the gasket face flat.

• Like 2