Exhuast And Tyre Rub

dusty_viper

Hey Everyone.

I recently bought a new Gas Gas 280 txt Pro and noticed that the tyre has started to rub on the exhuast a bit.

The wheel is in dead straight and the snail cams are set the same on the left and right but I wonder if there was any way of getting round this or whether I should set my wheel off centre to stop it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mine does it as well, especially when landing off the sleeper pile. I dont worry about it. maybe put a sticker on the face of the exhaust to see how much rub you actually get?

personally, I wouldn't worry...............

.............. I worry more about chain rub when I have a fat supermoto wheel on the dirtbike, but thats kind of normal too ;)

Hi there, i had this with my gasser and found that you can put a washer or two, with a small bit of rubber on the first fixing from the tailpipe to the frame, it moves the tailpipe out by about 1" preventing the rubbing altogether, it will eventually rub through the exhaust and start allowing water and crap into it, if you dont do anything with it.

Hope this helps. :D

Hi there, i had this with my gasser and found that you can put a washer or two, with a small bit of rubber on the first fixing from the tailpipe to the frame, it moves the tailpipe out by about 1" preventing the rubbing altogether, it will eventually rub through the exhaust and start allowing water and crap into it, if you dont do anything with it.

Hope this helps. :D

although I dont worry about it, that sounds like a good thing to do - thanks for that.

My mates 2005 250 Gas Gas rubbed right through the can, He had to get it welded up and then packed the mounts to get it away from the tyre. I thought it was because he was not exactly a light weight

My 2003 300 Pro has no rub issues.

Check the mid-muffler top mount, not sure how other years attach but my 03 mid muffler attaches using the same bolt as the shock top bolt. I did have to bend the mid muffler mounting bracket back to vertical.

But I have seen many Gas Gas' rub holes in the muffler.

I was going to say, no gasser should rubbing from NEW, that is :blush: until someone falls off the damn thing on the right side, lol. the muffler/silencer bend kind of easily, so if you do fall in anyway that hit's the silencer, check it and bend it back, I can do it with one hand...

However, depending of course how much you bend things, eventually you bend it 4 or 10 times, you'll have to have the mounting tabs re-welded I usually fall off the bike to the left, so, :popcorn: if yours is rubbin, then you or the last person didn't notice it, so fix it.

02 and 03 Pro's had a STEEL muffler (mid box) all others have alum, with varying by year mufflers and silencers just little tabs welded and holes drilled that you put screws through. I have up until about 08 models, reinforced these with a welder eventually, and after having to bend them back a few times, once you strengthen them with little gusset a little, it will be no issues.

Well I guess your mileage will vary, but that is what seems for me...

Edited by sting32
  • Like 1

02 and 03 Pro's had a STEEL muffler (mid box) all others have alum, with varying by year mufflers and silencers just little tabs welded and holes drilled that you put screws through.

I fogot to mention that part of it. I am glad mine is steel.

Biffsgasgas actually specifically ordered the STEEL mid box for his 04 300. I don't recall the price or where from, but their reaction was kinda funny.

Parts guy : "You do realize that the steel mid box is heavier"