Ty175 Tubeless Rim Spokes

ausy300pro

Can anyone tell me the correct length of spoke to lace a tubeless rim to my spare TY hub, have a spare wheel and just tried a quick rough build with ten spokes and they are slightly too long, just wondered if anyone that has done it has the correct measurement to hand, if not will have to take it to a wheel builder.

thanks

For the Morad (Gas Gas, Sherco) type rim, the centre is deeper therefore the internal diameter is shorter than a standard rim so shorter spokes are needed

If you try and use a flanged rim (4RT, 315 type) then that's a hole new world of pain and requires different spokes altogether.

Yes Woody, I am using a gas gas / morad rim that has the well for the rim tape which as you say means the standard spokes are too long, I could use a straight edge across top of rim and measure difference in depth but as the spokes meet the rim at an angle it would not be the most accurate measurement, just thought there must be plenty of twinshockers ? that have done this job and would know the length of spoke required.

(spokes would obviously be made to measure so if I get it wrong it would be good money down the drain)

I had a tubeless rim on my Majesty which I kept after I sold the bike. I then took the rim off to use on my Bultaco. I sold the hub and spokes recently off ebay to Matt Hepplestone.

If he reads this I'm sure he can give you the spoke length.

If you've had a rough build with a few spokes, can't you get the correct length from the distance the original spokes extend from the nipple hole?

I could but would be dfficult as the hub cannot be centralised or the offset set correctly because spokes won't tighten (chicken and egg job), hope Matt can help out, saves me the chance of getting it wrong (if it can go wrong it most likely will)

• 5 weeks later...

For the Morad (Gas Gas, Sherco) type rim, the centre is deeper therefore the internal diameter is shorter than a standard rim so shorter spokes are needed

If you try and use a flanged rim (4RT, 315 type) then that's a hole new world of pain and requires different spokes altogether.

Had 1 of the akront flanged rims dropped in my lap last week along with the short lefthand threaded spokes & nipples to give to a wheelbuilder to lace onto my hub, should be interesting to see how it comes out

I couldn't believe how hard it was to get the tubeless tyre of the standard rim

has anyone got an email address for Paul Jackson, the wheel builder from Halifax, I have my hub and rim now ready and am going to have to take it to him to sort out spoke length and build it, thanks if anyone can help me with email

• 5 months later...

Been struggling with getting spokes done for the flanged rim, wheelbuilder wasn't able to match the thread of the Beta spokes.

Can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere that has spoked up the flanged type rim for a ty175/250 & would be able to send a set to the other side of the world?