Honda Tlm260 Vs Honda Rtl 250

vintagemotoworx

Just got a TLM260RF a few weeks ago but i have stripped it down to zero and the frame has just come back from the powder coaters so i only had chance for a 20min ride around the garden before the strip down.

so can not give a real verdict yet but it went well,looks good to and will look better when finished.

Can not say how the RTL goes as not yet got one but i have the TLR250 twinshock and thats my baby and main bike for this season but the TLM will get a run out at some time later when finished so i will give a report then

im a big honda fan,i started with tl 125 great little bike.then went onto tlr 200 then tlr 250,i rode rtl 250 lots of times fantastic bikes.but then bought tlm 240,rode it few years im afraid to say the tlm 240 best bike ive ever rode.ive ridden the tlm 250 not bad but power comes in to fast for me.ive rdden the tlm 260 but too much for me.in a soot out yes the 260 would thrash the rtl.

Seems pretty one sided so far...I rode a Honda TLR 200 last year that was fully built and a Montesa 315r for my modern bike. So yes I like Honda but sold the TLR to close friend/competitor so this year my twin shock is a SWM 350TL. I only got to ride the TLM for 5 mins and it needed a little maint, so I shut it down. Here is a pic from last year on TLRphoto_zps871dd0b6.jpg

Edited by vintagemotoworx

As I'm a smoker and have always smoked Rothmans for the last 60 years. (thats not a misprint) I have always had a desire for a "Rothman's". The first was the last of the RTL's although I had a ride on the earlier drum brake version. I was instantly at home on the RTL as everything seemed to be a perfect fit for me. It was incredibly stable, almost felt as though you were on a workshop stand! The power was soft at idle but there when you wanted it. Steering and suspension was very good. I also remember the one I built had a Titanium Carb!! Other memories of both these models was the "odd bits" that seemed to be put on as after thoughts, gas bottle, coil, and velcroed CDI ??

The 260TLM was often seen in Pentax colors and some like the one I acquired were Canadian imports and were very plain. The 260 motor was perhaps as powerful as a Jumbo and it also had a sloping bash plate that you would have real trouble getting stuck on. Power was very smooth but seemed excessive when you gave it some wellie! Suspension and brakes were very good and it steered well. The frame was weak at the back around the SA and mine arrived broken in 3 places.

Preferences must be down to either being a 2T or 4T man. TLM oodles of instant power, RTL softer and perhaps a more stable riding position.

Off course the "other one" was not designed for trials but would clip 170 mph and was the most user friendly crotch rocket I have ever ridden.

Tony

post-4447-0-58826600-1362929164_thumb.jpg

post-4447-0-41730100-1362929200_thumb.jpg

post-4447-0-17038800-1362929218_thumb.jpg

post-4447-0-42654900-1362929228_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That is a good review of both! What a great job on the build Tony... Both look superb! I would really like to have both and pick and choose which to ride on a given day but my wallet ( and wife) just might not like that considering I just built the Jumbo.....Maybe i'll be able to swing it later :) The TLR I rode last year was a great bike and truthfully had tons of power. Some event's I like 4T and Some I wished for 2T.

The TLR I rode last year was a great bike and truthfully had tons of power. Some event's I like 4T and Some I wished for 2T.

If you think a TLR had tons of power I don't know what you're going to make of the Jumbo,,,

Preferences must be down to either being a 2T or 4T man. TLM oodles of instant power, RTL softer and perhaps a more stable riding position.

Tony

Funny how perceptions differ. Myself and two mates tried an RTL when it first came out. We all had Mono Yams and someone turned up to the trial on the RTL. All three of us thought it wasn't a patch on the Yams. The riding position felt as though I was performing a handstand as the pegs were so high and the bars low, the steering felt loose compared to the Yam and then there was the usual grabby Honda clutch.

Have to agree though, in Rothmans colours it's a beautiful looking bike

Once again Woody hits the nail squarely on the head - I had both back in the day,and found the Yam,(Ty250R) to be a far better bike.But the Honda RTL looked and sounded light years ahead of anything else.Living in the South West I was in the right place to see the master of the RTL on many ocassions - Steve Saunders,pure magic to watch.But now I think it was much more him than the bike,he could have made a TL125 do the same.

If you think a TLR had tons of power I don't know what you're going to make of the Jumbo,,,

My TLR had 215cc high comp piston, ATC 200X head, xr 200 cam, degreed cam, different CDI (more low advance curve) etc......really quite powerful....i know it sounds oxy moron but yes. The Jumbo is together and riding it. It has good power too! much more meat to the bottom.