Honda Tlm260 Vs Honda Rtl 250

vintagemotoworx

As I'm a smoker and have always smoked Rothmans for the last 60 years. (thats not a misprint) I have always had a desire for a "Rothman's". The first was the last of the RTL's although I had a ride on the earlier drum brake version. I was instantly at home on the RTL as everything seemed to be a perfect fit for me. It was incredibly stable, almost felt as though you were on a workshop stand! The power was soft at idle but there when you wanted it. Steering and suspension was very good. I also remember the one I built had a Titanium Carb!! Other memories of both these models was the "odd bits" that seemed to be put on as after thoughts, gas bottle, coil, and velcroed CDI ??

The 260TLM was often seen in Pentax colors and some like the one I acquired were Canadian imports and were very plain. The 260 motor was perhaps as powerful as a Jumbo and it also had a sloping bash plate that you would have real trouble getting stuck on. Power was very smooth but seemed excessive when you gave it some wellie! Suspension and brakes were very good and it steered well. The frame was weak at the back around the SA and mine arrived broken in 3 places.

Preferences must be down to either being a 2T or 4T man. TLM oodles of instant power, RTL softer and perhaps a more stable riding position.

Off course the "other one" was not designed for trials but would clip 170 mph and was the most user friendly crotch rocket I have ever ridden.

Tony

very nice

My TLR250 is in the Rothmans red and the TLM260 will also be Rothmans red to match but if it turns up anywere near as good as these bikes i will be over the moon

just mounted the motor back in the frame and headstock back on and waiting for some parts to arrive to be able to put it back togeather

Edited by 4 stroke honda

As I'm a smoker and have always smoked Rothmans for the last 60 years. (thats not a misprint) I have always had a desire for a "Rothman's". The first was the last of the RTL's although I had a ride on the earlier drum brake version. I was instantly at home on the RTL as everything seemed to be a perfect fit for me. It was incredibly stable, almost felt as though you were on a workshop stand! The power was soft at idle but there when you wanted it. Steering and suspension was very good. I also remember the one I built had a Titanium Carb!! Other memories of both these models was the "odd bits" that seemed to be put on as after thoughts, gas bottle, coil, and velcroed CDI ??

The 260TLM was often seen in Pentax colors and some like the one I acquired were Canadian imports and were very plain. The 260 motor was perhaps as powerful as a Jumbo and it also had a sloping bash plate that you would have real trouble getting stuck on. Power was very smooth but seemed excessive when you gave it some wellie! Suspension and brakes were very good and it steered well. The frame was weak at the back around the SA and mine arrived broken in 3 places.

Preferences must be down to either being a 2T or 4T man. TLM oodles of instant power, RTL softer and perhaps a more stable riding position.

Off course the "other one" was not designed for trials but would clip 170 mph and was the most user friendly crotch rocket I have ever ridden.

Tony

Very nice examples for sure. Look better than new.

Are you sure the Ti carb wasn't a Magnesium unit ???

Either way........very trick!

Edited by kramit

??

Hey Billy........forget the Pentax......is that a Grand Prix your riding on???

Mark. Yep......... And a guy came up to me when I was riding and asked if he could swap out his car for the Grand Prix, as the car we where riding on was in better shape LOL

Fantastic period pictures to be proud of Billy! Tell us a bit more about your self and the TLM260. Were the pics taken in the US? The bike looks straight out of the box, very stylish riding kit too. Presume you were sponsored. I have a standard 1992 TLM260, the Pentax version of the same year differed in just colours and a pair of Renthals I believe?

What were your riding impressions of the bike?

NAT

The Pentax's where replica's of the bike Takumi Narita rode. Pentax in Englewood Colorado and I brought six of them in to the USA back in the mid nineties. In my other life I am a camera nut and have been using Pentax cameras (6x7, 645 Medium formatt) for years, now I use a Leica M9 as well as Pentax). In fact these pictures where taking with a Pentax 6x7 formatt camera.

The Pentax's where an awesome bike and the one bike I regret not keeping around. Very free revving, light, agile with incredible build quality. The Pentax's where slightly different than the regular TLM260 that had some pre-detonation issues. Some people used to run two spark plugs in the head to help with ignition, no such need in the Pentax bikes.