Honda Tlm260 Vs Honda Rtl 250

vintagemotoworx

The forks are from a 86' Yamaha TY 350 along with the front wheel and brake . The handle bar riser is different it comes in 2" rise and 3" rise. I am 6'5" with a bad back so I like my bars high! Makes for interesting steep steps....lol.

Thankyou, and I must say it looks a very nicely prepared bike.

Here is mine as i bought it

That one is very nice 4 stroke! I'm noticing bits on yours that are similar to the Narita special that i've seen in a mag. Not saying the same one but someone had done some work. Aluminum mid muffler, bigger head pipe, shelter/seat venting, same type muffler, CDI box moved to front downtube( which I noticed on Billy T's Pentax). Does it have a flatside carb?

Edited by vintagemotoworx

That one is very nice 4 stroke! I'm noticing bits on yours that are similar to the Narita special that i've seen in a mag. Not saying the same one but someone had done some work. Aluminum mid muffler, bigger head pipe, shelter/seat venting, same type muffler, CDI box moved to front downtube( which I noticed on Billy T's Pentax). Does it have a flatside carb?

4 stroke somehow it changed its self into a 2 banger from the TLR250 i ride, will be nice to see the difference between the 2 when i get it finished as i ride the TLR better than i used to ride the Beta rev3 250 so can not wait to get this 2 banger up and running

The bike was imported from Japan 15 years ago and used for 2 years and put in the shed for 13 years before i bought it

Carb is flatside and when i kicked it over started 2 kick after been in transit for 3 weeks to get to me and the motor runs sweet but the plastics are shot and shock rubber was just dust (new rubber and service done now)

Still having problems getting the plastics but the rest is about sorted

Looks great...another one with a different pipe and mid box than the stock one.....i'm jealous...lol.

i.e. a standard frame with works engine&exhaust.. the bike performs quite different from the standard one I also owned

RTL250s = in my opinion one of the prettiest bikes ever, if not the best one! an amazing piece with a lot of interesting parts, details and solutions. Sounds like a dream but is quite behind a standard TLM260R in the performance. This could be obvious, as far as there are 6 years developement between the two projects.

TLM260R = the standard bike is a really good bike, high quality build, few problems with the ignition when temperature raises. compared to the contemporary contenders (Aprilia Climber, FANTIC 307, Beta Zero, a.s.o.) it is quite different in the performance, much easier to use and has a better over all quality.

Edited by zisko62

Yes I would agree, it is hard to compare a RTL250 with a TLM260. They are a more modern bike, although there are similarities in chassis components.

The standard engine is wonderful, sounds a bit like a TYZ, smooth and soft but then has huge mid range power similar to a modern 290 Beta I tried. I am not sure why you would want to modify the exhaust system?

Can anybody tell me what the effect of the aftermarket big bore system/bigger carb etc had on performance over standard?

Who marketed these components, I have seen stickers from Mitani and Ethos ?

NAT

Yes I would agree, it is hard to compare a RTL250 with a TLM260. They are a more modern bike, although there are similarities in chassis components.

The standard engine is wonderful, sounds a bit like a TYZ, smooth and soft but then has huge mid range power similar to a modern 290 Beta I tried. I am not sure why you would want to modify the exhaust system?

Can anybody tell me what the effect of the aftermarket big bore system/bigger carb etc had on performance over standard?

NAT

its to give more power at low revs and allow the bike to rev out more than the standard bike as per the factory bikes but causes a lot of heat thats why the cdi is moved forward to keep cool and extra vents cut into the tank shelter and a flatside carb to help smooth running as what is fitted to most modern trials bikes now

Mike

NAT

hi, didn't know about a aftermarket big bore system/bigger carb, could you tell us, pls?!

Yours has the big bore pipe and box fitted , you need to see what carb is fitted to your bike

hi,

there are 2 carbs with the bike, the standard one and a PWK...

I know of only 1 more bike with the large middle box like mine, it is the narita special.

eik3ld.jpg

this box requires a lot of work to fit it on the bike (shapening cilynder and head, shelter, a.s.o.). my engine revs much faster and easier, they told me the crank is also modified..

nevertheless, if there are after market kits, pls tell me...

cheers