Honda Tlm260 Vs Honda Rtl 250

vintagemotoworx

hi,

there are 2 carbs with the bike, the standard one and a PWK...

I know of only 1 more bike with the large middle box like mine, it is the narita special.

eik3ld.jpg

this box requires a lot of work to fit it on the bike (shapening cilynder and head, shelter, a.s.o.). my engine revs much faster and easier, they told me the crank is also modified..

nevertheless, if there are after market kits, pls tell me...

cheers

Does the bike run hot as it looks like you have you got a extra vent on the side of your air box and have you got any heat shield between the middle box and carb to stop heat transfer

Just picked up some exhaust bandage to put a couple of raps on the inside of my middle box as temps are sometimes quite high at timesand might trim the new shelter to allow more air flow

Does the bike run hot as it looks like you have you got a extra vent on the side of your air box and have you got any heat shield between the middle box and carb to stop heat transfer

Just picked up some exhaust bandage to put a couple of raps on the inside of my middle box as temps are sometimes quite high at timesand might trim the new shelter to allow more air flow

The bike with the extra vent is not mine, it's the works Narita one! the extra vent is a bit a fairytale. take a look, it's a heart...people say it was a sign of Takumi to the girlfriend.. ;)

As for my bike it runs perfect, no problems with temperature, no heat shield needed but I have to admit that the performance of the bike is far ahead of my riding ability.

So again, where are the special parts available?

So again, where are the special parts available?

Thats the million dollar question, would be helpfull if we made a list of places that still have spares

My bike had a new honda piston fitted and has not done much work since so not sure how long they last

There are a few web sites in Japan that have spares but i am not sure how you go about buying them, think you have to use a 2nd party from Japan to do the buying for you

Hope to have the shelter fitted and forks back in tomorrow but still waiting for the wheel bearings to arrive in the post before i can get the wheels back in

Edited by 4 stroke honda

I read this post with great interest.

I've had various RTLs since 1986, and my latest one is a 1989 on (that I still ride) which I got towards the end of 1989. I was surprised in the development of the RTL from my first 1985 model to the 1989 model and it wasn't just the disc brakes, the clutch was less grabby, engine sharper and a lot less prone to stalling.

I was desperate to get a TLM 260 when they became available, but was swayed by Screenart Beta which was meant to be for Mr Saunders. Great bike, but not the TLM that I wanted.

Towards the end of the 1990s I was working in Japan and went to Narita's Trials Shop several times in Kawasaki (that used to make me smile that a HRC dealer was in Kawasaki). When I was in the shop Takumi said how great the RTL was compared to the TLM.

I wasn't put off I still wanted a TLM, then probably about 10 years ago I managed to get a Pentax TLM 260; a dream come true??

Not quite, I was very disappointed in the bike. It didn't feel like it was breathing properly and had a very heavy flywheel. I had it re-bored (a Yamaha trail bike piston was a very near fit with a little over-boring), but that didn't make much difference. I was constantly playing with the carb and I even got all the bits to put on a bigger middle box, but I didn't want to change it too much from original. I couldn't source a flywheel to have some weight taken off and didn't want to do another one way conversion without the confidence it would work.

The bike looked fantastic in Pentax colours, but wasn't (in my opinion) a patch on the RTL to ride. I ended up selling it so I could get my son a Gas Gas boy to start his riding career. He won't be riding the RTL, because I working out how I can take that with me when I'm gone.

• Like 2

I cannot comment on the TLM260, but as I own and ride regularly a 1985 RTL 250 , 1988 TLM 250 and a 1986 TLR250, I can give a fair review of these... As everyone says the RTL 250 in Rothmans colour sounds and looks stunning. Mine is in original spec, and its biggest disadvantage is the stance. As Woody says it feels like you are doing a handstand at times and takes some getting used to. If you persist with it you do adapt and it is a brilliant bike to ride, and the engine is a stunning piece of engineering. The TLM250 looks pretty, but ultimately suffers with similar stance problems to the RTL. Obviously as a 2 stroke it is a very different power characteristics and is fun to ride in dry grippy conditions, but I find an absolute bitch in the wet!! My TLR250 is by far the easiest to ride of the three, but it is now far removed from original spec....Modified frame , whitlock swinging arm, loads of weight saving measures...Its now a brilliant bike to ride, less power than the RTL, but will still put many a modern bike to shame!

I read this post with great interest.

I've had various RTLs since 1986, and my latest one is a 1989 on (that I still ride) which I got towards the end of 1989. I was surprised in the development of the RTL from my first 1985 model to the 1989 model and it wasn't just the disc brakes, the clutch was less grabby, engine sharper and a lot less prone to stalling.

I was desperate to get a TLM 260 when they became available, but was swayed by Screenart Beta which was meant to be for Mr Saunders. Great bike, but not the TLM that I wanted.

Towards the end of the 1990s I was working in Japan and went to Narita's Trials Shop several times in Kawasaki (that used to make me smile that a HRC dealer was in Kawasaki). When I was in the shop Takumi said how great the RTL was compared to the TLM.

I wasn't put off I still wanted a TLM, then probably about 10 years ago I managed to get a Pentax TLM 260; a dream come true??

Not quite, I was very disappointed in the bike. It didn't feel like it was breathing properly and had a very heavy flywheel. I had it re-bored (a Yamaha trail bike piston was a very near fit with a little over-boring), but that didn't make much difference. I was constantly playing with the carb and I even got all the bits to put on a bigger middle box, but I didn't want to change it too much from original. I couldn't source a flywheel to have some weight taken off and didn't want to do another one way conversion without the confidence it would work.

The bike looked fantastic in Pentax colours, but wasn't (in my opinion) a patch on the RTL to ride. I ended up selling it so I could get my son a Gas Gas boy to start his riding career. He won't be riding the RTL, because I working out how I can take that with me when I'm gone.

I agree with you, the RTL's had a great developement/improvement from the 1985 model to the 1989. But, in my opinion, they missed to consider the driving position, footpegs are quite high and so is the centre of gravity.

The TLM260 has a more modern set up but, as barfy sais, a really heavy flywheel. It's not only the exhaust (pipe and middle box) or carb that require improvement, I think the main work should be done on the crank/flywheel.

I can only confirm the great difference between the standard bike I owned and the special one!

4lohuo.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all

Does anyone have the correct amount of oil required for the clutch/gearbox for the TLM260r as told it was 600mils but when i drained it 900 mil + came out as this is about the last job to do before its ready to fire up after refurbish and photo's will follow soon.

Thanks Mike

Hi all

Does anyone have the correct amount of oil required for the clutch/gearbox for the TLM260r as told it was 600mils but when i drained it 900 mil + came out as this is about the last job to do before its ready to fire up after refurbish and photo's will follow soon.

Thanks Mike

0.6 liters at overhaul, 0.5 liters at oil change, recommended is ELF HTX975 or Castrol A747