Young Riders Insurance/registering

Rightio,

Typically I've left this all to the last minute :P

I've finally passed my test today and am doing the Jack Wood trial on the 31st (road work involved). I've done a bit of research and people seem to be getting charged roughly £100-£200 for insurance and the general opinion is that msm seem to be best seeing as they have a propper trials bike policy.

Now I got a quote from them for £210ish third party and £270ish third party fire and theft. I know that's more than others I have seen but I am only 19. So that sounds kind of reasonable at my age? Other quotes I've got have been roughly £600 to £3000 for one and some refuse to acknowledge that sherco trials bikes exist :P

I'm registering my bike for the first time too so got that to do, it is 3 years old on the 23rd of march so I don't need an MOT til then i think? :P Once I am insured I need a v55/5 filling out and sending off and pay for tax at the same time? Then unless they come check my bike it is a case of Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your aunt?

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by theshercorider

You may not be eligible to ride a 300 on the road, depending on your age.

The laws have changed this year, you may only be eligible to ride a 125 depending on your age

MRS will probably have an insurance contact that recognises Sherco's, might be worth a try

Edited by windlestone1

Might be worth trying Carole Nash they gave me a good quote

Windlestone1 - Assume as he's 19 it's an A2 license fine to ride any motorcycle not exceeding 35 kW and with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2 kW/kg. :)

As above i've escaped the new rules. I can ride anything up to 46bhp i think and a certain power to weight so I should be fine with that seeing as a trials bike has roughly 20ish bhp?

I can't find a trials designated bit on Carole Nash's site, I'm guessing you rang? (Bit late to give them a ring now)

Edited by theshercorider

Might be worth trying Carole Nash they gave me a good quote

Windlestone1 - Assume as he's 19 it's an A2 license fine to ride any motorcycle not exceeding 35 kW and with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2 kW/kg. :)

Looks like i've lost the plot.

I'm convinced i read the original post and couldn't see an age.

I'm blaming it on travelling to Southend to often lately!!!

I'd still say it's worth contacting Malcolm Rathmell Sport though, they do have insurance contacts for sherco's that are very competitive.

Carole Nash do Off road policies and On road as well. You just have to State that you need RTA cover. I think a few others will cover the bike as well if it is road registered but only while it is on the road.

Carole Nash do Off road policies and On road as well. You just have to State that you need RTA cover. I think a few others will cover the bike as well if it is road registered but only while it is on the road.

Yes, but the on road will not cover during trial, so as said supplementary required.

It's insured now with msm, mot later on. I have a v55/5 I've half filled in but pretty certain I can't fill most of it cause trials manufacturers don't seem to release much information?

Will probably have it all sent off at the dvla tomorrow fingers crossed.