Bultaco Engine Numbers

bultacorock

Hello every one

Im about to go look at a bultaco and was hope- ing some one could please help me ? with how i can tell what

engine it has in it by looking at the engine number ? is there some were on the engine thats say 325cc ? or 250

sorry but ..... i know nothing ..... unless it has a sticker on a side panel. :rolleyes:

Is it also part of the frame number to do with engine size

Any info at all i would be really great full for

Thank you

Ask the seller for the engine number and the frame number. When you have them you can either ask on here or look them up on any website that holds the Bultaco frame / engine number information - just google Bultaco frame numbers as suggested above.

If you put the numbers on here someone will tell you.

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies old trials fanatic, cvgmmartin and woody its got me looking in the right places now.

seen some photos of the bike and it has the Jb- 199 as part of the frame number then ends in A so it should have the same as part of the engine number ?

which would mean its a 325 ( handful of fun ) can not see the engine numbers on the photos but will see it this weekend not going to have much pocket money

left if the engine sounds good

Not sure what the going price is for a 199A ? no visible rust looks used but not battered to me ? like i know any thing :rolleyes:

mikuni carb seems to have the side covers off a 183 on it

So thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Edited by bultacorock

199a is the model after the red one you've been posting pictures of. It's the all blue model. Good bike.

The engine and frame numbers should match

Some people used to fit the older airbox to the later bikes as they thought them better, but not sure how you are telling it is from a model 183 specifically

• Like 1

Hi Woody

Its just they look like the ones on the photos of a 183 ? in the above links there was a diagram of the air box posted on here on the 2nd of feb

the bike before the one i use to have, they are much bigger in size top to bottom and have a big flat head screw on the right hand side i think it may give access to the air filter not sure....... just trying to do my home work before i get asked for the money he would like 1,500 pounds

Good to know some fitted them because they thought them better not just the bits they had left over, thanks for that info

Im just trying to make sense of what i can see in the photos has the bike been looked after, i think im going to have to try and talk my friend Bob into

coming with me to look at the engine to make sure it will not need too much doing to it if i get it, that will make 3 of use between us we should be

albe to work out if i should hand over the cash ????

Thanks for all your help with this

Edited by bultacorock

Some of the works riders used to fit the earlier airbox to the later bikes as they thought the earlier box worked better. Personally I've no idea.

The airbox for the M159 to the M191 was the same, the one with the big side panel with the screw in the centre.

• Like 1

Thanks again Woody i spotted the side panels and did not know they could be part of the air box till i spotted the diagram posted on here i was told it belonged to an older

bloke than me ? who spent lots of time working on it ? and i was thinking good one just like my car use to belongs to a little old lady ..........

I guess part may be true just have to see how the engine sounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i now have a 199A that sounds good no rust, my friend will look at the engine next time im home. I think it needs some new bits cables, chain sprockets rubber bits air filter bits ..... Its all in bits so we can have a better look at it. Hubs need some liners and i was told you have to send just the hub to get this done ?

so the wheel will have to get rebuilt the cost is starting to add up really fast ........

so i have started a account with a on line bultaco site they seemed to have lots of thing i would like when i had a walk round at Telford i have ordered one of there workshop service manuals

Thanks for all your help i think i will need to spend lots more time on here :D really looking forwards to it

Edited by bultacorock
  • Like 1

• 9 years later...

I am curious if this thread is still active. If so I am trying to figure out what was left to me. The engine and frame both show m-5100493 and B-5100493 (no letter before the M and B). The best I can figure is that it is a 360 Montadero. I would love to restore it and ride, any help is extremely appreciated. 

Thank you in advance,

Dino

5 hours ago, Dino_the_dog said:

I am curious if this thread is still active. If so I am trying to figure out what was left to me. The engine and frame both show m-5100493 and B-5100493 (no letter before the M and B). The best I can figure is that it is a 360 Montadero. I would love to restore it and ride, any help is extremely appreciated. 

Thank you in advance,

Dino

Yes 360 Montadero. It's a very rare trail bike with a Pedrables engine design which is quite different to the common 5 speed Bultaco motor and hard to source parts for.

What do you need help with?

• Like 1

Hi just trying to determine what this bultaco engine is any help would be appreciated engine number is M-9000775  it is in a Matralla with a frame number B2304539 I think its a mk2 frame with a changed engine as numbers don't match maybe a 1966-1968 

Thanks Tony