Swing Arm Removal ?

cabby

Stripping the bike down and got to the swinging arm.

Not even sure if I should be removing it or not, as I wish to grease the moving parts, anyway, 1) do I need to remove it to do so and 2 ) should the bolt that goes thru the whole lot be as tight as it is even after removing the nut from the opposite end ?

Last thing I want to be doing is removing it if I don't have to but if I do, am I gonna get it back on again with it being so tight in the first place.

2012 250 btw.

Not been greased properly for quite a while?

Will freeze in the cases & be a major to remove if not done from time to time, not a big job to do every 6 months or so when doing the linkage bearings. Work out how many times you regrease the linkages bearings in 6 months & make it a rule to regrease the swingarm after the same number eg. every 6 regreases of the linkage bearings is a major service & the swingarm gets dropped at the same time

So what was the issue? I figure it would just tap out on a year old bike?

It was just a tap out, I was just concerned it might have been a bigger problem getting it back in. Anyway, as stated, I tapped it out, greased the bearings and was surprised how easy it was to replace again, now if only I could get those brake pistons out, I'd have a working bike :rolleyes:

Are you trying to remove the brake caliper pistons?

Remove the caliper from bike and screw in a grease nipple into the banjo bolt hole and pump out the pistons with the grease.If one piston is loose and the other jambed , just put a "g" clamp on the loose piston and pump away.

Edited by brt650
  • Like 1