Ossa: Would You Do It Again?

luckaz

Ha!.....sorry Dabster but you are absolutely incorrect!

I did buy my new bike bike from the importer, as I did my first Tr280i, but that is as far as my connection to Borus goes.

So for everyone else, just to correct Dabster, my view is unbiased (apart from being the bike owner and very pleased with it!)

• Like 2

So no one is in any Doubt 280i is the importer of these bikes into Canada, I believe, so his views are not completely un biased.

Certainly have some constructive post at times dabster, but Its a bit sad that your so quick to stick in your misinformation and unfounded, smart aleck comments on a subject that has little relevance to you. An apology to the young fellow would'nt go astray either.

Edited by steveo
  • Like 2

I bought my 2011 TR280i earlier this year and totally love it! This is my first trials bike and I've had nothing but fun with zero issues.

It does have a few quirks such as the air filter removal procedure, slightly involved but still quite easy oil change, kick starter that bottoms out on the foot peg and shock adjustment knobs that are tricky to get at. These aren't really what I would call problems but may annoy some people. I know starting has been an issue with some bikes. Mine has the 9v system and sometimes it will start on the first kick.

I love the FI system and how clean it runs. It really looks and feels like a well built machine.

IMGP0587edit_zps0581d222.jpg

P1060061edit_zps5ee16193.jpg

As a total trials newbie, I love my bike and couldn't be happier. :D

Certainly have some constructive post at times dabster, but Its a bit sad that your so quick to stick in your misinformation and unfounded, smart aleck comments on a subject that has little relevance to you. An apology to the young fellow would'nt go astray either.

its not sad its a mistake.

Borus is the importer not 280i, whose view is valid insomuch as "my bike is best".

whether this subject is relevant to me or not, you are the judge now?

Yes Borus is the importer, and from Ossa related experience with him, I'm sure Canadian customers will be very well served by him.

if you had a new Ossa and had a bad experience, then maybe your negativity at every opportunity would have some relevance

• Like 1

its not sad its a mistake.

Borus is the importer not 280i, whose view is valid insomuch as "my bike is best".

whether this subject is relevant to me or not, you are the judge now?

But that is exactly the point, Steveo asked for "my" impression of my new bike which is what I tried to provide, of course I think my bike is best!, why would I own one otherwise?

• Like 2

I don't own an OSSA and have not ridden one of the FI models. Watching them they seem to go as well as the opposition. However a friend did have one and does not have a good word for it and neither do several other owners or ex owners he has talked to.

Depreciation certainly is an issue

I would not buy one because of the depreciation and the stage its development is at. Far better wait a year or two until the problems are sorted.

FI and 110:1 oil mix ratio might seem like a good idea, but so did invading Iraq and the Ford Edsal initially.

Cheers

So there you go, both sides of the story. This was never about how good or bad the bike is, it was me expressing my opinion as to what I thought of my bike. As I have already stated in other strings, my 2011 model also had early starting issues that were corrected by a combo of the battery assist and me improving my initial crap starting technique. Once I had everything down it was all perfect, certainly a huge improvement for me over my 1997 mont 315' plus I got a good deal from the dealer. I have always stated that at least 20% of the reason why I bought an ossa was the dealer service and I cannot fault that. Parts for the mont had to be ordered from lewisport in California, about 3000 mies away, parts for the ossa are a 20 minute drive from my door and always in stock, yet another reason for me, and another reason why I did not hesitate to buy a new model. I also think the situation in Canada is different than the UK, the limited supply and availability of used bikes probably keeps the resale value higher.

• 5 months later...

I have had a 280i since 2011.

There were some initial starting issues, and mapping changed that.

It now starts with one to three kicks from cold, no 9v system required.

I had some clutch drag issues that have been resolved.

And a noise at high torque low revs. All fixed.

That said I now have an excellent bike, reliable, light, lively, balanced and planted.

My friends envy my effortless loading and unloading. Mind you they are all Montesa wielders and huge musclebound weightlifting men. (ahem)

I love this bike. Would I buy another? In a heartbeat. They continue to improve and look even better.

BUT. Depreciation IS an issue. Most trialsters I know are not rich men, they require some return to step up to a newer model.

This is a problem as the bikes have been perceived as problematic, but frankly every other bike I have ever owned has given me more grief than my OSSA.

A lot of it is down to brand loyalty and resistance to new ideas and products. Some of it is snobbery and some plain old fashioned jealousy.

It is a handsome, light, nimble, powerful little ******* of a bike and I love it. Thats my 2 cents worth.

• Like 2

For the air filter, there is a kit available from OSSA to make the air filter change a snap.

Newer bikes come stock with it (I think from 2012?)

My Explorer has been delightful and no issues.

It seems that early issues have been addressed and solved.

I'd post more, but I've already gone on and on in other threads.

Very happy owner!