1981 349 Kickstarter Repair(How Hard)

gham

I have a chance to purchase a 1981 Cota 349 in pretty good shape with the exception of one thing,the kickstarter has been known to not spring back. It will (for lack of better terminology) re-engage when lifted manually.

My question is ----Is replacing the kickstarter a huge mechanical undertaking for this machine or something that can be done with average mechanical aptitude? I don't want something that is going to require splitting cases and chasing parts forever.It may be something as simple as a return spring or as difficult as a broken tab that the spring connects to.

It's only about $600-$800 USD so I would not have a fortune in the bike.

I would love to hear from anyone with experience with this model and kickstarter repair and/or problems

Or...What the heck should I be looking for to know if it's going to be big trouble???

Thanks

George

Edited by gham

Thanks for the responses,puts me at ease at least about any needed repair.I saw the bike run at a Gate trial last November and it ran and performed well.

Any suggestions on what I should look for as possible trouble signs?

It has completely rebuilt forks,new cables,tires and decent (non-leaking) tank.I go see it up close wednesday night.

if you can post up photos of the bike it may help with suggestions

Sorry,no pics.I was just thinking if anyone knew any inherent problems with this model perhaps I could keep an eye out for them or see if a repair has been made.I'm an "ok" maintenance mechanic and have bought used street bikes before.Older model dirt bikes are a little trickier though.

If the exhaust is in good condition and no cracking of frame or brackets,shock..pegs...ect..I think I'll take a plunge.We have a fairly good local trials scene where I can test my lack of skill.