Rear Wheel Bearing Removal

rider61

I haven't replaced the bearings on my Scorpa. but I imagine they come out like the Fantics and Gas Gas's I've done. Inside the hub is a metal tube spacer, it's the one the axle goes through. Once the axle is out, you should be able to push that tube space slightly off center to the side with a long phillips screw driver. Once you have it moved slightly off center, you can get a long center punch through the axle tube so that it can be placed against the side of the bearing. Then tapping lightly on the center punch you should be able to knock the bearing out the far side. Once it's out, you simply turn the wheel over and knock out the other bearing. A few times I have warmed the bearing up with a heat gun before knocking it out. Beware though, once you commit to knock out the bearing, the center punch will probably ruin it as you knock it out, so make sure you have new ones to put back in.

One more trick that will save you problems down the road. Often the bearings you buy are not very well greased (that's why they go bad in the first place). Before you install the new bearing, take a super small flat screw driver and work the rubber (plastic) donut side off the bearing exposing the inner roller bearings. Then pack the bearing with water proof grease, press the side donut back on, then install it. I put some anti-seize around the outside of the bearing before I press it into the wheel so that it will come out easier if you ever need to do it again. A large socket the same size as the bearing can be used to gently knock against with a hammer to seat the new bearing back into the wheel. Don't forget to put the spacer tube back in there.

Once you've got the new bearing in, every time you take the wheel off again, say to mount a new tire, front tire too, carefully work the plastic side off the bearing and re-grease the bearings. I've never had to replace a bearing again if I keep them greased. That's my story anyway...and I'm sticking to it.