Montesa 247 Gear Pins

roger200

I have a montesa 247 21m which had the engine re built before I got it, the problem is it wont select second gear.

Can anyone tell me which sliding pins go on which gears. there are 2 lengths, 19mm pins ( x 3) and 2 lots of 24mm ( x 6 ). I think I might have them in the wrong gears, I only have the Haynes workshop manual which covers all models and is a bit vague on this subject. The selectors are straight and the gears are in good condition. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I rebuilt my old 247 but I have a feeling that those pins where 3 different lenghts. Contact Jared Bates at southwestmontesa.com and he should be able to tell you where they go. Before you do that and go splitting the cases make sure that the shifter drum in lined up correctly. The Haynes Manual should tell you how to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can get a copy of the Clymer manual that covers Ossa, Montesa and Bultaco in one volume, they give the length of the pins in the gearbox reassembly chapter.

I thought there were three lengths, not two, but it's been a while since I did a Montesa

There has been a topic on this in the past, I did a quick search but couldn't find it

The Clymer manual is availble on Amazon.

Dave is correct, there are three lengths of dowel pin.

Output shaft pins are .827" for the sliding member between 1st and 2nd, the other sliding on the output shaft is 4th gear which requires the .957" pin

The input shaft has dowels the are .761".

On my early 69 model Cota these lengths were incorrect (not by a lot) so I just put the shortest set on the input and played around with the others.

It is all pretty obvious when you get going.

Remember the gearbox shims are only in the R/H crankcase and the end play is 4 thou, any more and you will get clutch judder.

While you have the motor apart check the kickstart shaft bushes and replace if loose.

Regards

Martin

Edited by triple_x

• 7 years later...

Apologies for resurrecting a post from 2013 but I’ve just took my cota apart, split the cases leaving the cluster in ignition side but managed to disturb the pins. I’ve got the Clymer manual but all the sizes are different I.e longer. Anyone else had this? Mine are approximately 21mm 24mm and 28mm.

it’s a 1972 Cota 247 21m8*** engine number 

any advice on order of assembly please 

Edited by bothfeetdown

• 2 weeks later...