Bought A Brand New Evo - Any Tips'n'trix?

kbtrials

As topic. Just had my new bike delivered. Beta evo 250 2t.

Are there any mods I need to consider or is it a "go" just out of the box?

(Not my first new bike and not new to trials, new to beta though ;). )

Remove & copperslip any bolts you want to undo later.

Do NOT add a front mudguard flap to your bike, it will break the mudguard and/or radiator cover.

The front mudguard is short because the tyre hits the exhaust header pipe, & the mudguard would just snap straight off.

Seal the gap under the rear mudguard between the exhaust & airbox with sikaflex.

The gear lever doesn't tighten up properly on the shaft, file a larger slot in the lever.

Take extra care when replacing the mudguard & tank cover screws, they will strip very very easily as they screw straight into the alloy frame.

Grease the head bearings & suspension linkage.

Keep a close eye on the carb overflow for fuel pouring out, adjust float level & tang if required.

Remove the little centre screw from the sidestand spring, stops the stand self retracting when you park slightly downhill.

Squirt chainlube into the rear spoke nipples to stop them siezing up.

A lot of the bolts & fixings on the bike are very poor quality & corrode very quickly, keep an eye on these & replace as they get worn or corroded.

I have needed to check the tightness of bolts more frequently than other makes, bit of threadlock on things like the kickstart will help.

Hope this helps!

Remove & copperslip any bolts you want to undo later.

Do NOT add a front mudguard flap to your bike, it will break the mudguard and/or radiator cover.

The front mudguard is short because the tyre hits the exhaust header pipe, & the mudguard would just snap straight off.

Seal the gap under the rear mudguard between the exhaust & airbox with sikaflex.

The gear lever doesn't tighten up properly on the shaft, file a larger slot in the lever.

Take extra care when replacing the mudguard & tank cover screws, they will strip very very easily as they screw straight into the alloy frame.

Grease the head bearings & suspension linkage.

Keep a close eye on the carb overflow for fuel pouring out, adjust float level & tang if required.

Remove the little centre screw from the sidestand spring, stops the stand self retracting when you park slightly downhill.

Squirt chainlube into the rear spoke nipples to stop them siezing up.

A lot of the bolts & fixings on the bike are very poor quality & corrode very quickly, keep an eye on these & replace as they get worn or corroded.

I have needed to check the tightness of bolts more frequently than other makes, bit of threadlock on things like the kickstart will help.

Hope this helps!

Done most of your suggestions/mods today, overall I'm impressed with the bike. Linkage and wheelhubs where well greased from the factory.

Had a quick test drive and the bike feels great, heavier than my Ossa for sure. But the quality feel is much higher and I like the ergonomics better.

A bit confused on the gearing though, the bike came with a 11 teeth fitted and a 13 teeth in a box. Thought 13 was standard??? (And I was not expecting "free" optional gearing, but nice to have)

Tomorrows first practice ;)

Thanks to everyone posting good tips.

Think he was hoping you all would say, "just get out and ride it"

Talk about "**** on a mans fireworks".

TLTEL

No :)

T-shock 250's reply was exactly what I was looking for, hopefully it will save me time and energy later!

• 2 weeks later...

Just have to post - been on the bike four times now and it's amazing. Clutch is precise with perfect bite, no drag. Gearbox is smooth. Engine response is great, more torque than the OSSA (and the beta is just a 250!) I had before and way better power curve. (Been writing up the ossa before here on TC, now I'm actually a bit shameful about that... Don't get me wrong, the ossa is a good bike, the beta is just that much better in my opinion)

My riding confidence is on an all time high, I totally trust this bike will do what I want it to.

The main thing I miss from the Ossa is the rear shock.... There is also quite a difference in weight, the beta is quite a bit heavier to lift and move. When riding it doesn't feel heavier though.

The gearing is a bit different, the beta is slower geared in first gear - which is good for me but took some time getting used to, especially going up steps.

On the negatives - I have the clonk from the steering bearings... Seems easy to sort but a bit annoying on a new bike.