Relining/sleeving Plated Brake Drums

lorenzo

I have a number of hubs in need of the "treatment", and an engineer acquaintance willing to tackle it.

What's a reasonable price to pay ?

I'd like to find a figure that's fair to both of us - any ideas, you guys ?

hello im in the proses off having my rear hub relined £55

Where are you getting this done, my brake liner is ok but might get it done in the near future and have been looking for somewhere local to have it done (Liverpool not too far from Wakefield and I travel over for work),

Thanks

I might be able to reline the hubs of my Sherpa at work, but does anyone know what the dimensions of the new steel liner should be? Mainly the outer diameter of course.

Thanks in advance

:beer:

For best results, cast iron (preferably Grade 17) should be used rather than steel, as it gives a more consistent brake performance with an organic brake friction material, but of course you then need to source castings. Has anyone got any firm guidance on this, like outer diameter of the sleeve and amount of interference on the fit? Also, is it best to bond the liner in or is an interference fit acceptable?

.I think steel will do for me. The first reason is that I have no acces to cast iron, I also fear that, because the liner most likely has be very thin otherwise there wont be much left of the hub, the cast iron is to brittle.

And the friction rate compared to chrome will be sufficient better.

I have a ISO fitting tabel at work, it will be most likely be a shrink fit but someone out there has done this before so they will know which fittng works best

My appologies for my poor English, I'm from Belgium so ... :wacko:

By the way, it's not uncommon for older motorcycles to have no brake-lining in aluminium hubs I'm told...

But I don't know if thats a good idea for a trials bike, riding a lot in dusty and muddy conditions...