What Did You Do To Your Fantic Twin Or Mono Shock Today !

shyted

Wow! possibly the two heaviest trials bikes ever made.......and someone who is from a town just an hour north of me! Nice!

Why this comment ? They can only be a few % heavier than their contemporaries.

Mans bike ?

Well I can only really speak on behalf of the Fantic 300 as i worked for Fantic in the US. At that time in period, it was considerably heavier that the bike it replaced, the 240. As we were inching towards monoshock bikes back then, in fact Fantic team riders were competing on this bike against guys on Yam 250 monos, it was a huge dis-advantage. Not to mention that I have now owned a 240, then a 300, and now a 200. I can honestly compare all of them. Although slightly underpowered, but very capable with a little clutch work, the 200 has the best geomotry and is by far the lightest and easiest to ride.

I should have clarified....obviously light when compared to pre 65 bikes and such, but, much heavier than other bikes of there era that were made a few years before....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well my procrastination Has come to a end , (sort of ...) I finally got around to installing the proper cross referenced Iridium ND spark plug in the section !!! . Starts easier , idles smoother , and runs like it should , It ran good before , but now is a adrenaline rush for this old guy :) Now I have the ambition to get around to working on it some more .

Glenn

Well my procrastination Has come to a end , (sort of ...) I finally got around to installing the proper cross referenced Iridium ND spark plug in the section !!! . Starts easier , idles smoother , and runs like it should , It ran good before , but now is a adrenaline rush for this old guy :) Now I have the ambition to get around to working on it some more .

Glenn

Put a OKO on that thing Glenn! Yesterday I had just a little bit of time and quickly bodged my OKO onto my 309,My 240 was never quite happy with it but the 309 seems to love it,possibly the reed valve signal is a bit more consistent than the piston port on the 240,with the jetting intended for the 240 it is butter smooth off idle and still pulls like a MX bike up from there.Bonus is the smoother Idling(and I haven't dialed in the mixture yet) has quieted a lot of the reed-valve Fantic rattles! The Dellorto that came on the 309 was always a bit funky,takes different jets than my other Dellortos and no matter how much I cleaned it it would frequently bog then zap with power,not the best for trials! I've still got to deal with extra throttle cable slack,shorten the fuel line(had to jamb a stick in between the hose and the exhaust to keep it from melting,locate the extra main jet that came with the carb and if it's richer stick it in for testing,and rebuild the petcock if possible as it drips if not turned to the exact right spot.

BTW,In spite of my distaste of anything other than basic spark plugs,you've convinced me to give iridiums a go,what are the proper plugs for Fantics?

Edited by htrdoug

I would Doug if you could access the adjustment screws ! Mid box denies carb access from the left . But there maybe another Flat slide out there with right side adjuster screws that could be used , I haven't really looked into it yet . Did you ever get the Kehin float valve for your OKO ? Mine had the most minute flaw in the rubber tip that would randomly make it over flow , only found it with a magnifying glass , other than that I've had nothing but love for the OKO ...

Have you used the "new Boyesen Trials reeds " ? I may give them a shot after I get used to the section a little more ...

Glenn

Replaced the needle valve,we'll see if she's under control now. Never seen a Section so didn't know about the carb access.Don't think keihin or Oko makes anything with right side adjustments.

Haven't tried Boyesens yet,my Sherco is jetted well and runs smooth, I've just started messing with the 309 again,If the Oko does as well away from home as it's doing in the back yard I might be tempted to keihin the Sherco.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I was bored after doing the laundry , so I went out to the shop and fired up the Fantics .... Trusty 240 took 2 kicks and a putt around the yard .

Section however took 3 kicks , but I only had on my work shoes ... And then it got a putt around the yard too . the section has alot of compression , hurts my foot without riding boots on ! Bosisio Motori is working on my missing cooling hoses for me , can't wait to make her sound again, the top 2 hoses are just mushy enough to scare me ...

Yep , and it's a tad shorter than the 240's .

As to the plugs , In the 240 I use a Denso IWF 22 and the section takes a Denso IQ20 . Both are iridium and the same plug has been in the 240 for a few years now and still looks and acts new ! I do check it once in awhile as I have extra compression washers that I use when indexing plugs , always got to have a fresh one :) Try one , you won't be disapointed ! (especially in the 240's weak ign. system )

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...