What Did You Do To Your Fantic Twin Or Mono Shock Today !

shyted

Re riding techniques, particularly clutch control, using twin shock/pre 65 bikes, negotiating clubman type sections, it is better to leave the clutch engaged. Learn to ride, in full control in first gear, using precise throttle control off tickover. It also means a modest rider has one less variable to manage and reduces the risk of braking traction when re engaging drive. If you need proof, watch the older more experienced riders trickling through sections in first gear, using throttle control, weight distribution & body counter balance, with the clutch fully engaged.

Have you ever had a Fantic? Mine has a one finger, easier than my son`s pro gas gas. Just finished a 24 mile trial riding with only modern bikes. Besides being way hot, being air-cooled, it worked just fine. It was practice for our ITSA finale for the year. The old twin shocks are even better with a working clutch. Not using the clutch went away in the late seventy`s.

motopelli, I had one like the bike in the foreground a while back. turned the rear suspension link upside down,

had to machine a little clearance, lowered the front stanchions an inch, made it a little easier for an old fella

to get a leg over, also helped the nose bleed.

Also replaced the PHBH carb.

In support of 61ajs, in proper twin shock sections, dead throttle and no clutch.

Regards Larry

Hose's installed on the 97 section , Distilled water with water wetter and a dash of coolant installed . Bled and fired up ! let the fan cycle off and on a few times . Will check level again in the morning when cold . Hopefully no air pockets ! :)

Now I get to ride it !!!! :)

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Disassembled backend of section to get carb off and give the bike a closer look than I have yet ... Carb kit is at the post office waiting for me to pick it up , Carb appears unmolested since new ... I'll know more when I take it apart tomorrow at work . Gonna have a :beer: and some :popcorn: and watch the show nascar has become ...Boy this old bike is in really good shape :) I've got a event on the 30th and might just use it ! Hard tires and all ...

Glenn

OK . rebuilt/cleaned carb. Every rubber piece cracked on disassemble , choke tube o-ring was distorted .

But carb back on and bike only works slightly better ...

Took off reed block and fresh Boysen carbon tech reeds are on their way ....

Not seating as they should , may explain the bulk of the issues ...

Glenn

• 4 weeks later...

Well after playing on the section in the yard for a few hours yesterday and checking and marking all the vital fluid levels for a after ride double check ...

And fiddling with the idle mixture to much to get it how I like , I've come to a conclusion ! She's got no coolant leaks :) ! But I'm sure the main seals are just starting to leak :( . gearbox oil went down noticeably and she smokes a bit more than is normal , (not like a freight train , as before I cleaned midbox ) . And while playing with the idle mixture and checking further for any vac. leaks , I removed the plastic flywheel/stator cover and with the bike idling sprayed a light shot of carb cleaner behind the flywheel as best as possible and Noticed a change in idle ... Not drastic but it's there ..

As I've got all the parts here to do it already and my fabricator hasn't produced a aluminum tank /seat that I'm willing to pay for yet , I guess it's time to replace the 17 yr.old seals . Luckily on the section I can change the seals without splitting the cases , like you must on a 240 pro motor ... OH well the magnesium cases wanted a fresh coat of paint anyways ... And the bike is fun to ride ... I'll get to use it yet !!! :)

Glenn

• 5 weeks later...

Well today in between doing laundry and drinking :beer: , I went out to the shop and started all my bikes and let them warm up ...

1 trusty 240 pro , 1 slow prod , and 1 full kick fires up and runs fine .

2 97 section , 2 slow prod's and 1 full kick and she fires up and runs fine till I shut her down after the fan cycles ...

3 reflex , 3 manly kicks and it fires off and stumbles and die's . One more good kick and she runs fine .

4 50cc fm330 no matter how hard I kicked it , she wouldn't start ! must be the lack of a piston and crank ... ?

None of these bikes has ran in at least 2 months . man I love my 240 and ave gas ....

Glenn , happy days !

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I'm the only one who constantly is working on / improving their fantics .....

So today the ever trusty beloved 240 pro got a new magnesium clutch cover with a oil level sight glass from a later model bike :)

The standard red id plate was looking worn and unreadable , she looks much better with the FANTIC logo on the case there instead ...

And I'm lazy , I'd rather look thru the sight glass and see if the oil is OK than remove the screw and see if oil dribbles out ...

The section is still waiting on my lazy as$ to work on her , but it's time will come when the weather is warmer ... Screw this ARTIC Blast stuff ...

And I watched daytona qualifying ... Good for Jeff , but what a circus .....

Glenn

I'm sorry , but don't sit on the bike on the sidestand !!! First (well maybe second ) thing I told my son when we got him a street bike !!! It's there to support the bike ! , not you ! ....

'just sayin !

no harm intended :)

Edited by axulsuv